Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

16-04-2009, 10:17 PM
Originally Posted by Mum To Many View Post
(partner writing again)
Brin does have good recall with me. He is just more protective around me. I have not said I will not leash him around joggers. Please re-read my thread. I will leash him if I feel he may be a threat to someone and will be more vigilant for any possible incidents.

That is pleasing to hear now. Up until this point, mum to many had been objecting to the idea that leashing him around joggers or other problematic situations as an over-reaction to a "one off"

We just want to cure the problem not just prevent it even though this is the short term solution.

Everyone, myself included, has given you advice on curing the problem, as well as prevention. Prevention is part of cure, cure is part of prevention.

Brin has not been aggressive to the jogger before but looked wary when he ran passed me. WHILE I WAS HOLDING BOTH DOGS as he ran past.

Thank you for giving more specific details re Brin and the jogger's history...as you say Brin is worried by this jogger, then it is good to know you will keep him on lead from now on. Then you will need to work out what worries him, and take it from there

Your insult to my partner about her being judgemental is wrong. I gave an accurate discription of the jogger to her and she was being flippant in her reference to this. Sorry it went over your head but do not take it out of context to insult her with plus all your backers jumping on the bandwagon to put the knife in.

As it happens, i dont think you were really being serious about the jogger, but I made this point to put things into perspective. That being, you cant lecture everyone else about being judgemental, or taking things out of context, or being rude, when mum to many started off doing these very things to us just because she didnt like one bit of advice given, advice which was pretty much good advice by anyone's standards.
We all started off posting quite sympathetically, but then got turned off a bit by the way we were responded to.
It is quite easy to rationalise away that everyone else is just my bandwagon jumping backers, but i think you will find that the vast majority of people suggested putting him on the lead because It Is The Right Proper And Sensible Thing To Do Under The Circumstances.
And they did this as free thinking adults, all of whom could just as easily say you are being insulting, if they were so inclined.

we just wanted constructive advice from fellow doglovers not to be attacked for admitting a problem and trying to get as much help as possible.

You got constructive advice a plenty. No one attacked you for admitting a problem and asking for help. If you go back and look, my own first post actually says the opposite.
We just objected to mums attitude toward leashing her dog around joggers for good reasons given.

I just hope you don't find yourself in similar circumstances and need advice. But then some of you seem to know it all and must have perfect pets.
For my own part, if i had this problem, I would ask for advice, listen to it with an open attitude, including if it said i should leash my dog (which i would have already decided to do anyway).
Mum To Many
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-04-2009, 10:56 PM
Thank you to CC for actually understanding what we were trying to say, i'm sorry some members have resorted to distorting some of our comments to suit their need to harrass and disapointed that the Admin has had to block some posts as they were not connected to the thread so were obviously offensive to us I hope the perpurtrators are pleased with themselves, I will be posting no further comments on this thread so don't waste your breathe.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2009, 10:57 PM
Thank you to CC for actually understanding what we were trying to say, i'm sorry some members have resorted to distorting some of our comments to suit their need to harrass and disapointed that the Admin has had to block some posts as they were not connected to the thread so were obviously offensive to us I hope the perpurtrators are pleased with themselves, I will be posting no further comments on this thread so don't waste your breathe.
The posts that were removed were not offensive about you, far from it. They were not directed at you.
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2009, 11:08 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
The posts that were removed were not offensive about you, far from it. They were not directed at you.
Oh, yes, Ramble is right. The posts were probably the ones from GreyhoundK and myself, basically making comment about the judgmental attitude rearing its head again - sorry about that Nothing offensive to you, honestly
Mum To Many
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-04-2009, 11:11 PM
ok thanks for that.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-04-2009, 08:25 AM
Thank you to CC for actually understanding what we were trying to say, i'm sorry some members have resorted to distorting some of our comments to suit their need to harrass and disapointed that theAdmin has had to block some posts as they were not connected to the thread so were obviously offensive to us I hope the perpurtrators are pleased with themselves, I will be posting no further comments on this thread so don't waste your breathe.

Sorry you feel harassed by the advice you where given on this thread.. in fairness to all who posted, *have read through it again) I cant see anyone who has taken a harassing attitude to you.

You asked for advice, and I think in unison all have given the same .. to prevent this happening again put him on a lead.

The fact you took exception to said advice , others cant ab held responsible for the way you take it.

As for the removal of posts they had nothing to do with your thread, just some seeing an opportunity to further their personal crusade!!!

You know, it happens to us all.. dogs are not machines ,we will all have had an experience or two at some point or another.

We count ourselves lucky to be able to come away and deal with the situation , hopefully with it never happening again.

You had a lucky escape, (you may feel that bringing the DDA act up is over the top)

But the fact is , if the "jogger" HAD taken it further... YOU could have a major battle on your hands... so when it is dismissed with a cavalier attitude , people wonder why they bother giving advice.

You now know one area where you have to be extra vigalent with him... you may with time get him over it, you may not , and you may have to except the fact that around running people , you will have to keep him on a lead.

I have to ... my boy is a ****** with horses..and anything with wheels... I learnt yrs ago, that I have to except it and be vigalent keep my eyes open and leash him when we come into contact.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2009, 08:31 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Sorry you feel harassed by the advice you where given on this thread.. in fairness to all who posted, *have read through it again) I cant see anyone who has taken a harassing attitude to you.

You asked for advice, and I think in unison all have given the same .. to prevent this happening again put him on a lead.

The fact you took exception to said advice , others cant ab held responsible for the way you take it.

As for the removal of posts they had nothing to do with your thread, just some seeing an opportunity to go over old news!

You know, it happens to us all.. dogs are not machines ,we will all have had an experience or two at some point or another.

We count ourselves lucky to be able to come away and deal with the situation , hopefully with it never happening again.

You had a lucky escape, (you may feel that bringing the DDA act up is over the top)

But the fact is , if the "jogger" HAD taken it further... YOU could have a major battle on your hands... so when it is dismissed with a cavalier attitude , people wonder why they bother giving advice.

You now know one area where you have to be extra vigalent with him... you may with time get him over it, you may not , and you may have to except the fact that around running people , you will have to keep him on a lead.

I have to ... my boy is a ****** with horses..and anything with wheels... I learnt yrs ago, that I have to except it and be vigalent keep my eyes open and leash him when we come into contact.
Geat post. All dogs have their 'thing' that makes their recal a bit questionable. With Cosmo it is rabbits (norty norty boy) and cows...he love cows, we are doing some work on it over the summer with some friendly ones. We are fortunate that joggers and cyclists don't bother him, but I have a friend who's dog goes mental when she sees them....not easy and that developed from'she's never done it before'....

The advice given on this thread was all well meaning and friendly.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2009, 08:31 AM
For whats its worth, my opinion would be the same to temperarily lead your dog whilst the jogger goes past and work on his recall. Also if the jogger is amenable suggest him having a sniff etc..

Bruno once jumped up on our old postie in the middle of the street for no apparant reason and she got a real fright - as did I !! I think it was her lovely post bag he was after. However after that I made a point ofr asking the postie when we saw her if she would give him a treat. She agreed and from then on we never had a problem, Bruno would approach her and park his bum for a treat, she actually started bringing his treats in her pocket- and it was a love love relationship from then on. She no longer works our round and we now have a very grumpy man who purposely crosses the road when he sees us !!!

I feel I do however have to comment on the touchiness of this thread. People have offered good and all very smilar advice to a scenario given and been criticised for it. Advice is just that, whether you choose to take it is up to you, however to call others patronising when its not what you want to hear isnt the way to deal with it.

I am quite surprised that it now appears impossible to offer genuine advice to anyone without being shot down for it.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2009, 08:40 AM
All of my dogs have chased a jogger - once. The subsequent reaction (OI!) and a bit more care on my part afterwards (calling dog to heel & rewarding when he ignores jogger) have always solved the problem.
People haring past you or at you suddenly is not a `normal` thing to happen and the dog is simply reacting to an unusual situation. Chasing a running creature or shouting at an attacking one is perfectly reasonable behaviour to a dog, but they then have to learn what we what them to do instead.
Muddiwarx
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2009, 09:16 AM
Originally Posted by CheekyChihuahua View Post
As far as I'm aware, the dog "barked and jumped up" to the jogger. Can't imagine any action being taken against a dog/owner for that If the dog had meant to harm the jogger, I'm sure it would have, particularly as the jogger was shouting and waving his arms about, which could have frightened the dog.
If a large dog chased me and was barking and jumping at me I would be frightened - protective or not aggressive behaviour towards people is never acceptable - I would work on disapproving of any "protective" behaviour - it is our job as humans to protect our dogs - not the other way round - a dog that chooses inappropriately or otherwise to behave protectively is risking it's life - no way would I allow any of mine to run taht risk.
Page 6 of 10 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 > Last »