Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2009, 01:22 PM

No Sound, please help!!

We had a trojan recently and seem to finally have got the better of it after doing multiple 'cleans' and installing new spyware etc.

However, I've just discovered (after trying to watch Lotties Friends for life vid), that we have no sound.

Can anyone please talk me through (in a simple idiot-guide way!! ) how to fix this?

Any help would be much appreciated
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2009, 03:02 PM
Boo-hoo, nobody loves me enough to help
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2009, 03:12 PM
awe I love you hun, but im clueless as to how to help...
janitor
Dogsey Junior
Male 

05-03-2009, 04:36 PM
If you go into sound in control panel, there should be loads of sliders under the volume section, check none of the sliders have a tick in the Mute box, or that the volume isn't turned right down. Other than that it could be sound card drivers which would have come on a disc with the computer, or the sound card if that's been upgraded since you bought the PC. Sorry cant be any more precise as i havent used windows for about 5 years.
mrphilip
Dogsey Junior
Male 

05-03-2009, 04:56 PM
If you have windows XP then I would advise the following: it virtually the same procedure in Vista.

Click on Start - Control Panel - then sounds and audio devices. Check that nothing is muted.

As I type this it occurs to me that you should check other 'mute' controls on your computer. It is possible that one had been accidentally triggered in the removal of the virus.

If all seems well with the sounds and audio devices - then go back to the control panel and click on 'Device Manager'

Again you should find Sound video and game controllers.

If there is a problem with the driver there may will be a yellow circle with red question mark in it.

Click on this item and it will probably subdivide into different components.

Click on the component - and you will find various tabs. Click on Driver and try to reinstall it. Depending on the source of your audio components you may find the machine looking for a CD to download the drivers from rather than the net.

If it won't look at the net for the driver the other possible solutions are to right click on the devices that you have under Sound video and game controllers - which will bring up the following menu Update Driver; scan for hardware changes and properties.

If I was trying to find a fault I would probably scan for hardware changes first - then update driver.

If this does not work right click on properties again - and go to the troubleshooter where you will find Microsoft solutions to your troubles - and they - despite what some people say - can actually be quite helpful
mandy121
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-05-2009, 07:57 PM
go to device manager through control panel and if u see a yellow explanation mark then try and update driver if not try to reinstall driver ,, there is a program called driver magic to find it for u .. hope that helps if not pm me and ill try more as i know bit bout pcs ,,,