View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
rich c
Almost a Veteran
Male 

06-04-2006, 05:48 PM

Specific dominating behaviour...(mounts a breed of specific colour - how to prevent?)

Ever since we went to a Lab get together last autumn, where Jake got a bit of hassle from a couple of male chocolate Labs, he's felt it necessary to dominate (By mounting) the male chocolate Labs we meet on our walks locally. EVERY time we see them! He does occasionally try to dominate other males of his age/size but not to the extent he does as above. (We're assuming he has this apparent 'obsession' due to his bad experience above. Luckily it was just a bit of a scuffle. No-one got really hurt! Just Jake's pride.)

Anyway, any thoughts on how to dissuade this? Letting him get over it in his own time clearly isn't working!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2006, 06:10 PM
Got the same problem with my rescue Georgie, but it's only certain dogs he will try and get on their shoulders? Is this what Jake does? I will be interested to read your replies as I need help on this too. I just sense when he's going to do it, coz he's overly interested in these certain dogs, so I quickly put him on a lead. Yesterday it was 3 massive great Leonbergers we met whilst out, I think he was pushing his luck there!!
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2006, 07:39 PM
just my opinion, but when he does it i would remove him from the situation on a time out for a couple of minutes before allowing him to rejoin the other dog. you dont want him to reward himself for this behaviour, this should teach him that he will not get a reward for this behaviour.

im sure someone else will come along with some better advice