View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
JanieM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-11-2009, 11:26 AM
We use a variety of leads but our pavement/town walking lead is a bog standard rogz lead, it's a bit thicker and softer than some of the other nylon type leads. We also have a ancol 2 metre lead for when she has to be on lead but can have a bit more roam space.

We've been using the Turid Rugaas method for the last 5/6 weeks or so and I have to say we have seen a huge improvement. It's a simple method and an easy read and so really worth taking a look at.
We're still only using it for our village walks so in time will need to build up the places and distractions, but it's the first time I really feel like I'm getting somewhere. It's not a quick fix and I have to be patient (not my strong point) but I think in time it'll really pay off.
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2009, 12:13 PM
I got my lead (and collar) from here:
http://www.petsbitsonline.co.uk/index1.html

They are webbing wrapped in cotton so nice & soft, also double ended & can extend. They do get wet, but can be washed
Lovely funky colours too - Tilly's got the zebra print lead & half chain collar.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2009, 06:13 PM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
Oh I do do an on lead walk everyday to train him. I meant ''most'' of his walks are straight into off lead.

There's a country park near where I live and we walk form the house to the park and round it on lead, then into the country park off lead and on lead back. This is everyday and this is when either of us do some on lead training with him. Basically, when he pulls we lead him back to be in line, say ''heel'' and set off, repeat, repeat, repeat. It is slightly improving, but not ideal and not helped by the fact that my husband keeps trying different things if he thinks it isn't working. Men! ;o)
Therein may lie part of your problem. He is walking to the park onlead...so is excited...then walking home...so is excited. There is absolutely no point trying to 'train' him to walk well on those walks, you need a totally separate onlead walk where he doesn't get offlead at all. Only a short walk, but an onlead walk, working on his lead work. That training should be started in the house, then in the garden, (offllead) then you can progress to onlead on your street and further afield.

The lead...well it depends what you want of him. Do you want him at your side the whole time he is walking in an obedience type heel? Are you going to allow him to sniff/explore onlead and be slightly ahead? Or do you want him smack bang at your side. I train our two (in theory) to walk on a loose lead, rather than to walk at heel and I use the long halti training lead at it's full length, I very rarely have them on a short lead (unless there is another dog and a Tango at a busy roadside.... )

Seriously, you need to decide what you want from him...then work on it. He will not walk well on a lead unless you train him to do it and give him time to practice...check out the Turid booklet.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2009, 06:15 PM
Originally Posted by JanieM View Post
We use a variety of leads but our pavement/town walking lead is a bog standard rogz lead, it's a bit thicker and softer than some of the other nylon type leads. We also have a ancol 2 metre lead for when she has to be on lead but can have a bit more roam space.

We've been using the Turid Rugaas method for the last 5/6 weeks or so and I have to say we have seen a huge improvement. It's a simple method and an easy read and so really worth taking a look at.
We're still only using it for our village walks so in time will need to build up the places and distractions, but it's the first time I really feel like I'm getting somewhere. It's not a quick fix and I have to be patient (not my strong point) but I think in time it'll really pay off.
Phew!
Yes...patience isnt my strong point and we have skipped ahead a couple of times and lost some ground as a result, but as soon as we tighten up on things, they remember quickly. It is such a simple,yet effective method and the dogs respond well to it as a result.Glad it's working for you too
JanieM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-11-2009, 06:34 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
Phew!
Yes...patience isnt my strong point and we have skipped ahead a couple of times and lost some ground as a result, but as soon as we tighten up on things, they remember quickly. It is such a simple,yet effective method and the dogs respond well to it as a result.Glad it's working for you too
Well it's thank to your recommendation!

Have to say I was really sceptical, but it does work.
Pidge, it's really worth giving it a fair shot, you'll be surprised!
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2009, 06:39 PM
Originally Posted by JanieM View Post
Well it's thank to your recommendation!

Have to say I was really sceptical, but it does work.
Pidge, it's really worth giving it a fair shot, you'll be surprised!
I'm so glad it's helped you as well though I would have felt awful if it hadn't!!!
I've been asked to help someone with a young Dalmation...and have recommended she gets the book too, before I meet up with her (It is specifically lead work she wanted advice with......she is a friend of a friend and i have pointed out I am no expert! )
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2009, 06:43 PM
I'm wondering if ''breed'' would make a difference?
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2009, 06:51 PM
I'm wondering if ''breed'' would make a difference?
No I don't think so.
The dog I found hardest to train to walk well on a lead was a 45kg GSD X GR.
My FCRs have been hard in a different way (they are very enthusiastic and keen about everything)...
So no, I think lead work is lead work regardless of breed. Turid said the same on the course.

ETA: It sounds like I am contradicting myself. I'm not as I really don't think breed makes a difference to lead work I think it is how you approach it with the dogs. I know what I did in terms of offlead stuff was different with the dogs...and how I approached their onlead training has been different too. I could go on at length at this point, but suffice to say, no I don't think breed has made a difference and I have done lead work with lots of breeds...
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2009, 07:25 PM
OK. I'll start doing it at home and see how I get on. What the hell am I doing though???
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2009, 07:30 PM
OK. I'll start doing it at home and see how I get on. What the hell am I doing though???
Buying the Turid book
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >