Our sister sites
Our sister sites
cesky2000
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-05-2009, 07:57 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
No feedback forms were issued.

KC were contacted but stated that the ownes shold have known to look on the paperwork before taking on the dog.
It is one of the requirements of the ABS that breeders give every puppy buyer a wallet with the required information, and a feedback form. I find it very difficult to believe that if a feedback form was NOT given the KC took no action.

Are you really sure that the breeders concerned were members of the ABS? Sometimes less that reputable breeders claim to be 'KC registered' or KC licensed' both terms that have absolutely no meaning.
cesky2000
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-05-2009, 08:02 PM
Originally Posted by CheekyChihuahua View Post
There doesn't appear to be any "policing" of the scheme either (to my knowledge). No home visits or anything at all, so I can't see the relevance of it.
Visits are made at random to new applicants. Anyone who has had a complaint against them, or who registers more than five litters a year automatically gets a visit.

I actually spoke to somebody last week who was appalled that they had put a deposit on a Chi with an AB and that Breeder let her down at the last minute (refunding the deposit but leaving the person back to square one in finding a pup). The person was most surprised because she'd gone to an AB to avoid the situation she found herself in.
There are many legitimate reasons why a breeder might 'let someone down'. I actually had to tell someone a couple of weeks ago that they couldn't have 'their' puppy. The reason was because he had been ill, and I didn't feel that I could pass possible future problems on to someone else.

That's one reason why I personally don't accept deposits.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-05-2009, 09:24 PM
I think the scheme is a good one, yes it needs better policing, but surely its far better for good breeders to support it, than walk away from it.

If all those who support it lobby the KC enough, hopefully it will do as it says on the box.

A mark of ethical breeding
johnderondon
Almost a Veteran
Male 

19-05-2009, 10:06 PM
Originally Posted by cesky2000 View Post
Visits are made at random to new applicants.
In other words most are not visited. Most are accredited completely outside the review of the organisation that is accrediting them.

Anyone who has had a complaint against them
In waiting until after a complaint is made before inspecting breeder standards makes the persuance of good standards a retroactive measure - an accredited until proven guilty scheme - which is not how most people would expect accreditation to work and is an invitation for bad breeders to try it on.

Speaking of how most people would expect accreditation to work - I think many would be surprised that the KC is perfectly happy to accredit someone who has never bred a litter in their life and, indeed, had never previously owned a dog!

If I employed an accredited gas-fitter I would expect (correctly) that that fitter has demonstrated his competency. If I employ an accredited lawyer, doctor or plumber I would expect the same. And I'd be right. But not with a KC accredited breeder. He doesn't have to prove his competency in any way at all beyond filling in the on-line form and sending the dosh.

or who registers more than five litters a year automatically gets a visit
Is that new? Because it was 10 litters (according to Dr. Samson) a few months back. It wasn't until the eleventh litter that Mr. Lambert would pay a visit.

Edit to add: Of course there's no mechanism to prevent a breeder avoiding inspection by registering a set number of litters with the KC and registering others with Dog Lovers or just selling unregistered. The KC know and have publically acknowledged that there are puppy farmers operating within the accredited breeder scheme.

Is it any wonder that better breeders (whose standards greatly exceed this appalling scheme anyway) are reluctant to touch it with a bargepole.

An accredited breeder.
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3