register for free

Dog News

Should dogs appear on TV talent shows?

Many of us don't like zoos and the circus, but what about performing dogs on TV?

Matisse the dog and trainer Jules O'Dwyer won Britain's Got Talent 2015 on Sunday.

Whilst the pair celebrates their big win on the show not everyone thinks dogs performing on a TV show is a good idea.
A top vet says that people should think harder before putting dogs on camera.

But TV makers say they take welfare of animals incredibly seriously and make sure they're safe and happy.

video: http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsround/32964806

Your comments and views:
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2015, 05:26 AM
Depends on the dog I would say.
Dorrit
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-10-2015, 06:28 AM
What is the difference between going on a talent show performing agility or doggy dance at crufts or going to one such class as a hobby each week.

Well the obvious to me is money... Two of the three can bring finacial reward one way or another.
If we wont let a dog perform on tv talent shows what about in films?
What about service dogs?
Or is that ok because it benefits us?

Not keen on talent shows full stop or dog shows for that matter.
Putting the welfare of the dog is paramount, the reason why they perform or who is in the audience is of no interest for the dog. They just do what they have been trained to and what their master asks, the only ones to benefit are the humans involved.
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2015, 07:31 AM
It does depend on the dog. One of my dogs was on television and did obedience shows, thoroughly enjoyed himself. Another wouldn't even sit still for a camera pic to be taken. So I have very few of her to remember her by. So it does depend.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2015, 11:04 AM
Does depend on the dog. If he's happy performing or being on TV... sure. We don't tend to attack dog exhibitionists even though IMO, most show dogs don't look too happy with those horrid cords strung around their neck and forced to walk in an unnatural manner and be annoyed by strangers who prod them and open their mouths etc. Funny how people seem to have a hissy fit about absolutely the wrong things.
Izzythesprocker
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-10-2015, 11:53 AM
I think it depends on the dog. Some dogs would panic with that much attention whilst others would enjoy it. Some dogs need to work, like active dog breeds, and would benefit from being out of the house and working. However there is always a chance of mistreatment. I think it is truly up to the dog and owner...
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

24-10-2015, 11:54 AM
I don't like dancing prancing dogs whether that's on a talent show or in the show ring, some people clearly love it but I don't so I don't watch it. I see no reason to stop it though.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2015, 01:26 PM
From what I've heard about how well the dogs are looked after in the studios, I see nothing wrong with it at all.

If both dog and owner are happy in whatever they do together then why not?
gordon mac
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

24-10-2015, 09:12 PM
Years ago - almost by accident, I ended up providing animals of various kinds for productions at Granada TV Studios in Manchester. There was very little "animal acting" involved they were just needed to be on their marks when the cameras rolled and in general just had to be theirselves.
The animals were treated extremely well by all the production staff (the majority of whom seemed to be huge animal lovers) and I was their continual companion so they would never feel strange about any of it.
If any of them, had at any time shown distress or even an unwillingness to comply with the simple demands then I would have taken them out of the environment and home immediately, but never had cause to do this as to a one they seemed relaxed and actually evinced every sign of having a smashing time.
I must admit, though, to never being too sure as to the validity of dancing dogs and animals doing what to me seems unnatural. Many of the dancing ones I've seen seem to have a stressed out look. Perhaps it's just me as I'm not happy with it personally.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2015, 10:42 PM
Despite all the obvious benefits to the dogs in terms of tlc, lack of distress etc etc., I dislike intensely to see dogs used in any way at all that is unnatural, and I include dog shows in that. Unless a dog is carrying out the function for which he was originally bred - ie, welsh collies herding sheep as an example - then it sits uncomfortably with me. I don't care how smashing a time it would appear that the dog is having, this is most likely to be purely because the dog just wants to please his master - anyone who owns a more natural type of dog, a dog whose every living moment is not necessarily to please and serve his master, will understand what I am trying to say. It just cannot be right to have dancing dogs, dogs jitter bugging their way around their master's legs to music, I hate to see it personally and although I can appreciate the skill and dedication of the trainer - and the love that they obviously have for their dogs - I do not lik it, it sits very uncomfortably for me. I agree entirely with gordon mac about the stressed out look that these dogs portray - they are doing it out of loyalty to their master and out of a desire to please, they are truly not doing it because they want to. I don't personally believe that I have the right to ask my dog to perform tricks that have no meaning or purpose - I am more than happy to train any dog to sit and wait for a titbit, I can see purpose and meaning in this, and it is something that I can do with any dog in a matter of minutes - but to ask any dog to dance around on his back legs just to prove what a clever dick I am as a dog trainer, I can see no rhyme or reason whatsoever; that;s just me, others undoutedly will think differently!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top