Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hammer
Dogsey Senior
Male 

02-04-2008, 06:46 PM

Buster Collar Chaos!

Benson has a cut on the top of his nose which he has kept opening up over the past month.

The vet has put him on a course of antibiotics and gave me a buster collar for him to wear.

However, he refuses to wear it. What I mean is, I tried to put it on him this morning. I had to wrestle him to the ground, and he writhed around like a fish out of water...he pulled away, growled, nipped at my arms, screamed like a baby, barked and drooled. Finally, I got it on him and he went completely mental...crashing round the kitchen, running into cupboards, barking and growling, ripping at the collar and finally weeing himself.

He was going to do himself damage, so I've taken it off and phoned the vet. She said that I should persevere which is easier said than done. He's got one massive fear of this collar.

Anyone have any other ideas how I protect his nose please? I thought of taping socks to his feet with adhesive dressing

Ta
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2008, 06:51 PM
There was a post on here recently about an alternative kind of collar that wasn't so traumatic but can't remember who posted for the life of me. I'm sure someone will be along soon that remembers. Hope you get the poor lad sorted soon.

Here's the link to the recent thread

http://www.dogsey.com/showpost.php?p...55&postcount=1

Hope this helps.
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2008, 06:53 PM
You could pm Stormey , As his dog Star had to wear a buster collar on and off for a while , or he might know of an alternative, Sorry I cant be of better help, Good luck I hope Benson nose gets better soon xxdk
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2008, 07:59 PM
http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=82341
Think that is the thread that you need.
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

02-04-2008, 08:08 PM
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...m?pcatid=15678

This is a link to an alternative collar.
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-04-2008, 08:18 PM
Believe it or not they do get used to them. Star had to wear one for two weeks when she sliced open her leg last year
Hammer
Dogsey Senior
Male 

06-04-2008, 02:24 PM
I'm at a loss.

The buster collar has failed big time! it drives him mental, if I left it on him my vet bill would be huge to pay for his broken legs, cracked skull etc etc. Not to mention a wrecked house as he tears it apart.

I tried kiddies socks so his claws didn't knock the scab off but he just chews them off.

I've tried various creams, liquid invisible healing, plasters...all sorts, but everything failed. Plasters were off and eaten in about 30 seconds!

I ordered an extra large comfy collar (thanks for the link) as the large were all sold out everywhere. I took a gamble which didn't pay off as the collar is way too big for him. So that's now sat in a cupboard.

I've now ordered some dog boots and extra strong extreme plasters with strong adhesive.

This stupid dog just wants to be in pain, bleeding and infected! Just thought I'd ask if anyone has any other ideas, although I think I've tried everything. ta
Micky
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-04-2008, 06:34 PM
Hi I have just had the same problem re Buster collars, I am not surprised that dogs hate them, I hate them too...I too ordered a comfy collar several weeks ago, they seem to have had a big demand for them, do not know if maybe crufts had cometing to do with it and they consequently sold out....I am still waiting for my size large to arrive, must chase them tomorrow.....Good luck