Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
GBguyUK
New Member!
Male 

06-04-2008, 07:44 PM

Lhasa x puppy panting at rest

I'm quite worried about this and was wondering if anyone could give me some advice please.

Bayley the new puppy arrived on Friday, he is 8 1/2 weeks old, all is going well. I have just one concern, when he was laying with the OH on the sofa last night he started panting, it lasted on and off for about 1/2 hour and woke him up. Tonight he has done the same thing while laying with me on the sofa, it lasted for about 5 minutes and again woke him up. Both times have been while the central heating has been on. This is the only time he seems to pant, when he is playing, on the floor or asleep in his cage he is fine and dosn't pant.

I was just wondering could he be getting to hot laying on the sofa with us and the central heating being on, he is going out often for number 1's & 2's and seems to be drinking plenty of water. I don't think it is stress related as he is quite happily asleep when it starts.

He is off to the vets on Tuesday so I will get the OH to ask her but I was just wondering if anyone had any idea's as to what might be causing the panting.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2008, 07:52 PM
Doesn't sound like it's stress from what you've posted. He could be hot though - after all he is wearing a fur coat.
Others more experienced than me will give other suggestions as to what it might be. I think you're right to check it with the vet anyway, as your pup is so young. Good luck x
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2008, 07:56 PM
Puppies do breath quicker than adult dogs and quicker than we expect this is particularly noticeable when they are asleep. As you only had her on Friday I would expect and advise you to take her to your vets for a check-up next week, mention you are concerned but I think it is the normal rapid breathing of a sleeping pup.

Sorry wrong sex for she read he
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2008, 08:23 PM
I've had to turn the heating off here as my lot were getting a tad warm so it may well be just heat.
Becky