Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2008, 03:01 PM

Help and Advice Please Re; Doctors Sick Note

I went and saw my doctor today. He knows what I am like about not being signed off, but he asked me today to please trust him as I really need to be signed off. He said he would sign me off initially for 2 weeks but feels I may need to be off much longer term. He said he understands that I have only just started this new job last week, but feels it is wrong for me to continue with it because of my back and other problems.
He said he would continue to sign me off until I found something I could do safely or indefinatly if need be.
I have agreed much to his shock to do whatever he says.
Now the big problem I have that is really worrying me is how do i get any money. I do not want to go and see the woman who owns the cleaning company as I have heard she can be quite nasty and I do feel so guilty about taking the job and messing her around. Now if I just send in a letter handing in my notice, will I be entitled to benefits as an unemployed person or will they say because I quit myself I am not entitled to anything?
Will I get sick pay from her for what could be a long period of time after only working there a week if I can't quit myself?
I really don't know how these things work.
My doctor was lovely though and when I got up to walk out the door he said to me "Hey where do you think you are going, come here" and he gave me a great big hug.
Its really worrying me now what to do with regards to the sick note and if I will get any money from anywhere. I would be better to get out of there completely, but don't know if resigning would just shoot me in the foot. Help!
Colin
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

25-02-2008, 03:06 PM
What you need to do is hand in your sick note to your employer and because you have only just started work for you will more than likely be told that you are not entitled to any sick pay. You then go down to the income support office and sign on sick with them.

You have not made your self unemployed that way so you can receive statuary sick pay.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2008, 03:11 PM
you poor thing, I'm glad you are following your doctor's advice, definitely the right thing to do, but I can imagine that this is making you feel worse.

I'm afraid I don't know all the ins and outs but gut feeling is that it is probably the wrong thing for you to hand in your notice.

I'm not positive, but I don't think the company is responsible for your sick pay once you've been off for a certain length of time - I think the government then picks up the bill?

Hopefully someone else will know, if not, perhaps a call to the Citizen's advice bureau?

Whatever the ins and outs, you must do what's best for you. I can understand how you might feel about thinking you have let the woman down, but if she wasn't very nice anyway, you shouldn't waste your worries on her.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2008, 03:25 PM
I am in quite a fragile state of mind at the moment and don't think I can face this woman having a go at me.
Do you think it would be acceptable for me to write her a letter putting in a copy of the sick note and saying i am sorry and explaining I may be off for a long time, but if I am not entitled to sick pay with her or she would rather dismiss me i would understand and if she could leave a messeage on my answer machine to let me know and follow in writing if she wants to let me go.
That way (I know the cowards way) I would know what I have to do.
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2008, 03:32 PM
don't hand any notice you will make yourself unemployed and will not be able to claim your employer will not pay you sick pay i doubt but can claim it for you through SSP as long as your earn over £82 per week

as long as you are EMPLOYED SSP should bge claimed through the employer if not can be claimed through DSS]
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2008, 03:38 PM
Will she do that though even if its unlikely I can ever return there, because of the type of work causing more problems to my back.
How am i going to afford my rent and Council tax and other bills.
I really am so worried.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2008, 03:44 PM
I haven't read through it, but hopefully there'll be some useful information on this for you

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employme...ay/DG_10027238
Sez & Amber
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-02-2008, 03:51 PM
Firstly - deep breath!

Secondly, I've been here, and I know how scary it can be. Don't panic!
You definitely need to pass your sick note on to your employer, so that you can start receiving SSP. I ended up "mutually agreeing" to end my contract and I was able to sign on to Incapacity Benefit and Income Support, but from recent experiences with my ex partner, I think if you voluntarily become unemployed, you are not able to claim any benefit (except for maybe Income Support) for a few months. So it's in your best interest for her to either dismiss you on the grounds that you cannot fulfil your contract, or to state that you were on a new-starter probationary period that wasn't completed. She cannot sack you for being unwell - it's disability discrimination.

My biggest piece of advice would be to go and see the Employment Disability Adviser at the Job Centre. Mine was fabulous and gave me loads of good advice, including what benefits I could apply for, what work would be most suitable for me, and with the Access to Work scheme, I was able to eventually get into a more suitable job.

You can probably claim Council Tax benefit if you are struggling, even if you don't claim anything else.

I hope you manage to work it all out. Stay calm!
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2008, 04:22 PM
I think you have been given some really good advice here.
Above all do not give your notice in That way you are making yourself unemployed and benefits/sick pay will be harder to claim.
Good luck MM and hope you feel better soon.

(wish my doc would hug me, he is a dish )
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2008, 05:27 PM
Having just returned to work after a long sick absence and having asked similar questions to various people I will tell you my findings (I don't know if it is different in England - I am in Scotland)

If you resign due to ill health you should be entitled to Incapacity benefit or income support if your doctor will confirm in writing to the jobcentre that you are physically or mentally unable to carry out the tasks your position requires.

The same applies if your employer asks you to leave/sacks you. Disability discrimination defines a disabled person as someone who has a physical or mental impairment that has a substantial and long-term adverse effect on his or her ability to carry out normal day-to-day activities. You would have to prove that you were unaware of the condition before you took up the post before your employer could be "done" under this act. As you have only just started They could also just ask you to leave as your trial period over.

However for the period of the sick line you have if your employer does not pay sick pay you should be entitled to SSP but your employer MUST have the sick line to request payment of it. You can send it rather than face the woman (make sure you send it recorded delivery)

As someone else sadi I'd give your jobcentre a call and ask to speak to a disability employment advisor as any help they give is with no obligation(ie will not effect any benefits) and they would be best placed to advise you fully.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >