Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lizzie-301
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-01-2013, 11:16 PM

Dog licking bum

Hi,

My 6 year old Cairn today started licking his bum. He does it every few minutes and the licking will go on and on. Could this be related to his anal glands? Is this something that will sort itself out or does he need to see a vet?

Thanks
Ginge2602
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-01-2013, 11:25 PM
Hi, my bc occasionally does this. Vet says it is anal glands. His are fine.
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

30-01-2013, 01:33 AM
There's a good chance his anal glands could be bothering him if it's unusual for him to be licking so much.

You say "on and on" - Is it casual licking or does he seem irritated by it ?

You might find he'll sort it himself but other clues for full anal sacs can be a fishy smell, scooting his bum on the floor or the tail being a bit subdued.

It's not difficult to do it yourself (externally) but if you're not confident you might just find a gentle 'attempt' produces enough evidence to know that's the problem.

If it is anal glands then it's worth looking at diet.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2013, 08:02 AM
I would take a trip along to your vets as it does sound like anal glands and they can be quite painful if full or infected.
Your vet will empty them for you and show you how to do it if needed again.
Lizzie-301
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-01-2013, 10:32 AM
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
There's a good chance his anal glands could be bothering him if it's unusual for him to be licking so much.

You say "on and on" - Is it casual licking or does he seem irritated by it ?

You might find he'll sort it himself but other clues for full anal sacs can be a fishy smell, scooting his bum on the floor or the tail being a bit subdued.

It's not difficult to do it yourself (externally) but if you're not confident you might just find a gentle 'attempt' produces enough evidence to know that's the problem.

If it is anal glands then it's worth looking at diet.
I've not noticed any smells, he didn't seem to be distressed by it, i took him for a walk as that usually helps when he has stomach problems and he did a poo and stopped the licking after that. He wasn't quite himself this morning but again a walk helped so i will see how he goes and decide about the vets.

Thanks for the replies
Ginge2602
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-01-2013, 10:36 AM
You wouldn't miss the smell It is horrendous! I changed his food after suggestion by vet. Burns too. He's on skinners now and no bother at all.