Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2011, 09:18 PM

Loss of pigment

I noticed yesterday that Dan has ever so slightly lost pigment on his nose. I'm sure I read somewhere that this is common in winter and the pigment returns in the summer. Can anyone clarify that? I know there are supplements you can give such as kelp, but was wondering if anyone else has experience of this?
Alf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-01-2011, 10:48 PM
Yep. Goldies quite often get it. It's called snow or winter nose
KateM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-01-2011, 01:39 PM
Snow nose or winter nose is quite common in some breeds, but it could also general fading of pigment due to age or related to coat colour - I have two cream spitz, one of whose pigment has faded to brown where as the other has stayed black.

Dorwest Herbs do an elderberry and nettle tonic for pigment. Seaweed powder is also meant to help - but be careful with that due to the high iodone levels in seaweed.

Alternatively turf the dog out into the garden every time the sun comes out?
Kalasin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-01-2011, 03:44 PM
I have a dog with snow nose as well, true snow nose not the usual NI stripe down the middle. In the summer it is black as charcoal and in the winter it goes a sort of livery colour...I assume because he has a white coat.

Summer:

Winter:

here is an interesting stub from an article on Ezine.
A term called snow nose is applied to dogs that lose the pigmentation of their nose during the winter months, but it darkens again in the spring and summer months. Something that has not been proven to work but may help is vitamin E and it is completely safe to try the dog on it. The condition itself is thought to be caused by the lack of sunlight, which is why the color returns in the spring and summer months. One thing to keep in mind is that complete depigmentation does not occur in this condition. So, if your dog does suffer from complete depigmentation, it is not snow nose and you should consult your local veterinarian to get a true diagnosis.