Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2005, 03:15 PM

Ear mites or wax build-up?

I noticed yesterday one of Archie's ears has a sort of dark brown gunk coming out of it. There's only a tiny bit, but I cleaned it off yesterday with some ear wipes, and today there was more so I chucked some thornit in there.

Is this due to ear mites, and will the thornit make it better?

The brown stuff is not too smelly BTW, it just smells of normal Archie ears LOL and he is not itching or shaking his head more than usual.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-12-2005, 06:40 PM
Dogs like humans produce a little wax as a natural lubricant to the ear, it helps keep the lining supple so consequently the inside of a dogs ear is naturally slightly moist... although there should not be an excessive build up of ear wax or debris.

I know many people like and use ear powders and that is their choice, but I do not like to put any any powder in a dogs ear (unless it is one specifically prescribed by a vet) the reason being I feel powder clings to a moist inner ear and clogs it up, if I thought there were mites or excessive wax I would get drops from the vet.

The inner ear forms a reservoir with only one exit , if there is anything in the ear that should not be in it there is only one way for it to get out and that is being flushed out with drops, it goes without saying never poke anything inside the ear
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2005, 06:55 PM
Thanks Mini... I used the thornit cos I've heard so many good things about it I don't use very much and don't put it in the ear canal, just outside it and give the ears a bit of a rub.

Does the dark brown stuff mean mites though? Or could it be normal earwax? I have never seen stuff like that on Archie's ears and the wax that sometimes comes out is much lighter in colour That's why I worried
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2005, 07:10 PM
sure its fine Tuti prob a wax biuld up Thornit will just make sure no mites are lingering
Bowowee
New Member!
Male 

13-12-2005, 11:56 PM
Is it ok to pour coconut oil on dogs ears?
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2005, 12:03 AM
I use Otodex ear drops on Benjis ears - they are very good and under £3 a bottle and available at most pet shops.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

14-12-2005, 12:05 AM
Originally Posted by Bowowee
Is it ok to pour coconut oil on dogs ears?
Hi Bowowee I wouldn't for the reasons I stated above
Also if you have a problem with a dogs ears it is best to seek a vets opinion, your dog may need a specific medication to treat differing problems for instance what is suitable for one condition (like the softening and removal of wax) may not be effective in treating another condition like ear mites.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2005, 07:13 AM
Thornit is excellent but I would keep the oil for the curry
Dogs ears produce wax all the time but it should drain and not build up. If it is building up it may be that he has more hair in the ear canal than normal or as you thought it may well be mites in either case Thornit is a good idea also if there is hair in the ear removing that will help.