View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
KYes
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-11-2013, 09:03 AM
Read malkas daily mail link - States they lived in housing association which bars pet dogs. Did the rescue centre not ascertain this? and then ask this lady to get written permission from her landlord to get a dog ? I ask as my friend works in rescue and this is standard question on their forms, as they are quite thorough in their standard of checks and balances in all areas of homing and matching
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-11-2013, 09:07 AM
Originally Posted by BlueJay View Post
Yep, massive DDB apparently from a rescue centre or pound... only had it a few weeks
In a one-bedroom Housing Association flat which does not permit dogs...
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2013, 09:13 AM
I wasn't assuming anything. This is what I read about it ....

The dog, believed to be a French bull mastiff, was the family's pet and was from a rescue home, according to neighbours.
Have also read that it was said by the rescue to be safe around children.

And that it was the girls mother who killed the dog in an attempt to save her daughter.

I suppose the facts will come out gradually but nothing will ever bring this little girl back nor erase the memory of what must be the worst and most horrific thing that has ever happened to her from her mother's mind.

It's natural for people to want to 'blame' when something terrible happens. The best I think you can hope for is that something will be 'learned'.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2013, 09:14 AM
Originally Posted by KYes View Post
Read malkas daily mail link - States they lived in housing association which bars pet dogs. Did the rescue centre not ascertain this? and then ask this lady to get written permission from her landlord to get a dog ? I ask as my friend works in rescue and this is standard question on their forms, as they are quite thorough in their standard of checks and balances in all areas of homing and matching
And if the woman had managed to get written permission to keep the dog? How would that have made a difference? Or if the woman lived in a place where permission was not required?
KYes
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-11-2013, 09:27 AM
Originally Posted by Tang View Post
And if the woman had managed to get written permission to keep the dog? How would that have made a difference? Or if the woman lived in a place where permission was not required?
You missed my gist, which I touched upon in my last sentence . I was being careful as I'm only able to comment upon 'newspaper facts ' at the moment
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2013, 09:32 AM
I never understand anyone not taking care when they take in a rescue, we have only had two pups from breeders all our others have been rescues coming to us at various ages and we have never allowed them to be with the children for at least a year after we got them and then only supervised. Most dogs like licking faces well none of ours had a chance to do that until we were extremely sure they were safe.

Feeding time was always extremely carefully done until we knew more about them too and toys supervised and taken away if we were not present.

Never let down our guard until at least 6 months into owning them.

Luckily we were so paranoid as one jack russel proved our being vigilant was absolutely the right way to treat them, Toby seemed perfect for a month but just went crazy one day and if we had been less careful could have hurt my husband badly, doesn't bear to think about if we had let him play with the children ...
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2013, 09:41 AM
Originally Posted by KYes View Post
You missed my gist, which I touched upon in my last sentence . I was being careful as I'm only able to comment upon 'newspaper facts ' at the moment
Yes lots of newspaper 'facts' at the mo out there. Some say the little girl was sleeping in bed with her mum. Others say she was playing with the dog. Some using stock photos, others a real photo of the little girl with the dog. Some say they'd only had it a couple of weeks, others a couple of months. Someone here said it was a DDB? Most reports say a French Bull Mastiff.

Lots say the dog was hardly ever taken out and one relative said the mother tried a couple of times but it was so powerful it pulled her over.

Fact is the child is dead. Killed in a most horrific way.

I can't be sorry that a dog that killed a tiny child is gone. I am sorry the child died. I cannot even begin to imagine how the mother of that child feels.

As I said, the facts will gradually emerge but nothing will bring back the child.
BlueJay
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2013, 11:24 AM
Originally Posted by Tang View Post
Yes lots of newspaper 'facts' at the mo out there. Some say the little girl was sleeping in bed with her mum. Others say she was playing with the dog. Some using stock photos, others a real photo of the little girl with the dog. Some say they'd only had it a couple of weeks, others a couple of months. Someone here said it was a DDB? Most reports say a French Bull Mastiff.

Lots say the dog was hardly ever taken out and one relative said the mother tried a couple of times but it was so powerful it pulled her over.

Fact is the child is dead. Killed in a most horrific way.

I can't be sorry that a dog that killed a tiny child is gone. I am sorry the child died. I cannot even begin to imagine how the mother of that child feels.

As I said, the facts will gradually emerge but nothing will bring back the child.
DDB is another name for the french mastiff.

Extra bits here:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...untsorrel.html

Apparently the poor dog (DBB) shown in the other articles had absolutely nothing to do with it (wonder how many people will be looking down on that breed now anyways ) and is claimed to be a "pitbull", depsite other articles saying is is not a banned breed.
Photos in the above link show some breed of bulldog, believed to be the attacker.

With all the BSL nonsense, WHY would the media share pictures of dogs on this story that may or may not have been involved???
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2013, 11:41 AM
It is also now being claimed it was a dog she got from a website where private rehoming/buying is going on not a rescue as had been previously stated.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-11-2013, 11:47 AM
Originally Posted by Julie View Post
It is also now being claimed it was a dog she got from a website where private rehoming/buying is going on not a rescue as had been previously stated.
So why is the Mail saying, as in the last link posted by BlueJay

Orchard Kennels and Cattery, in Barrow-upon-Soar, confirmed that the family had got the dog from them. A spokesman, who did not want to be named, said he could not comment any further while the police investigation was ongoing.

Page 2 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 5 12 > Last »