Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Florence
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-10-2014, 03:08 PM

Horse behavoir book suggestions

To all you horsey people on dogsey: Can you recommend any good, up to date horse behaviour books?
I've not been in the horse world for a while and I'm looking to get back into it so I need to update my knowledge
Nothing that uses punitive methods, no Monty Roberts suggestions please
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-10-2014, 07:07 PM
They don't change much . Depends on whether you want to train or ride I guess. What makes you say monty Roberts is punitive? Just curious. Only seen him on horse and country channel a few times.
Florence
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-10-2014, 07:17 PM
Originally Posted by Dobermonkey View Post
They don't change much . Depends on whether you want to train or ride I guess. What makes you say monty Roberts is punitive? Just curious. Only seen him on horse and country channel a few times.
I would like to learn more about horse behaviour and psychology, I guess it's less about riding and more about understanding horses. I've got plenty of books that tackle riding skills
I don't like Monty Roberts' method as he works much with emotional pressure & release rather than positive reinforcement. I prefer a more gentle approach, that's all
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2014, 09:09 PM
Not sure you quite understand month Roberts at all Florence. Punitive is not a word I would associate with his techniques - love to know why you say that?
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2014, 09:11 PM
Sorry that should have said monty, not month!
Florence
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-10-2014, 09:16 PM
Hi Gnasher, no I think I do know quite a bit about Monty Roberts. I didn't say his techniques are punitive, but he does work with pressure and some aversive techniques. I don't want to work like that and my main goal is to understand horse behaviour better, that's why I'm hoping some people might be able to recommend books to me.
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

13-10-2014, 07:42 AM
Im pretty sure you can clicker train them? funny, i havent seen anything i take real issue with with monty roberts but am not a fan of parelli and theres some guy on horse and country channel cant remember his name but i really dont like him!! you could try the horse&hound forum?
Florence
Almost a Veteran
Female 

13-10-2014, 09:33 AM
Yeah maybe I have to find a horse forum :P
Yeah you can clicker train horses, I've done it before, works the same as with dogs!