Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2014, 02:16 PM

A Tale of a Rescue..

You must first appreciate that being half scent hound and half terrier is not an easy genetic combination for a wee dog, or for her owner!

So last week, when I was enjoying a few minutes in the sun away from bed and work with a cup of good coffee.....wee dog started her I GOT SOMEONE ...song... yip, yip, yip, gimme , gimme gimmee. I want it NOW!

Under the down pipe from the guttering of all places..How can there be ANYONE in there wee dog? I ask, but she races over at high speed then goes back and yip, yip yip, gimme gimme gimme...Nose up the down pipe..

Well OK; so what if there IS someone in there? What do you expect me to do?
LET ME DRINK MY COFFEE, please..

You guessed.... yip yip yip, gimme gimme gimme..

My mind started working on it.... need something long and narrow and flexible.. BRAINWAVE! The hose pipe!

So, feeling a total idiot, and this by the way is a dog who was glued to a dresser days after a mouse had cleared out, I fed the hose pipe up the down pipe.

Wee dog is now totally hysterical. Beside herself with excitement... I can hardly push the pipe for laughing..

When there is a long piece sticking out at the top, waving to the sky, I assure her, see I told you so NO ONE THERE..

Then I start to pull the hose pipe back and suddenly wee dog all but explodes and there at my feet it is.. a tiny wee brown pipistrelle bat! Squeaking fit to burst! Must have been fast asleep roosting in the pipe and this dirty great green snake dislodged it....

So, carefully, not wanting to get bitten, and MY do they have HUGE mouths! I cover it with my long sleeve and carry it to the shed, to put it high up on the top shelf there. By now the poor thing has attached itself in terror to my sleeve so detaching it takes a while with wee dog beside herself with frustration.

It had been very dry but that night it deluged and had the bat still been in the pipe it would have been washed out and drowned.. Well done wee dog!

NB they are protected here in Ireland.

I had heard someone walking on the roof several times..
Fourlegz
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-08-2014, 02:18 PM
Detective badge on the way to sunny Ireland for wee dog!
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-08-2014, 02:21 PM
Poor little thing glad you and the little dog came to the bats rescue Rose , I hope it has recovered now..
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2014, 06:23 AM
Originally Posted by Meg View Post
Poor little thing glad you and the little dog came to the bats rescue Rose , I hope it has recovered now..
I didn't check it again, Meg. Too dark in there!

http://www.wicklowmountainsnationalp...edMammals.html

This is him!