Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2009, 10:30 PM

Little training brag

I run several classes (about 11 each week). They are for dogs of varying levels, from puppys throught to adults rescues or people who just want to continue with some training (obviously in seperate classes!)

I don;t know if any other trainers find this - but there are some dogs who really get to you.

One of these I have had coming to me for a year now...She is a 7 year old Scottie. Her owner took her on at 6 years old as an ex-breeding bitch, she had to have a c-section so could no longer be bred from, but had spent her life in kennels having pups. She was born in there and never taken out.
The woman who has taken her on is a lovely lady with very little confidence herself and they have just clicked.

For the first 4 weeks she came along, Ruby had to be carried in and out of the hall and would not come out from behind the chair. She has come on in leaps and bounds and managed to pass her bronze GC a few weeks ago.

However....one thing we have always had problems with is playing....she will not play with toys...until tonight for the first time - she picked up a toy and chucked it about a bit her owner was in tears (I nearly was as well!)..

Just so thrilled for her...
Sorry - seem to have rambled on a bit....just one of those great moments
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2009, 11:31 PM
Thats really nice, well done you, the owner and Ruby

What did you both do to encourage play??
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2009, 07:11 AM
I can relate to your feelings about that. It is wonderful to watch a whithered little scared mite, come into a wonderful full bloom flower xxxxxxxxxxxx Best of luck to you the owner and of course the Scottie XXXXXXXXX
nikki_kev
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-03-2009, 08:06 AM
Aww that is lovely! x
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2009, 08:07 AM
Oh my goodness, that is lovely to read

Wys
x
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2009, 09:41 AM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
Thats really nice, well done you, the owner and Ruby

What did you both do to encourage play??
We had tried various different toys, none of which she showed an interest in (and some she was scared of!)

However - she loves playing touch (empty hand touch) and has progressed on to doing a full sendaway (going to touch a piece of tile and lying down by it), It her favorite game and her owner often does it with her when people arrive at the house as it seems to destress her.

Anyway....we started touching with a soft ball so it moved when she touched it and when she started to get frustrated about it moving she whould put her paws or mouth on it.

We then prgressed on to a tennis ball with a tail and ignore th touch until she started to mouth at it, rewarding her everytime she put it in her mouth, last night she had a lightbulb moment and was grabbing it and looking to us for the food. She was holding it and chucking it about.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2009, 10:49 AM
Aww that is great, and a nice easy positive method
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2009, 10:52 AM
OK, you officially have the best job!!

Well done you, what a lovely story and this shows how comfortable and relaxed both owner and dog obviously are in your classes xx