Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2009, 11:00 PM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
See they're one of my "generally look the same" breeds.

If you randomly pluck 100 tan boxers I think they'd all look pretty similar, whereas 100 working line liver and white springers would all look completely different. Or have I just not seen enough boxers yet?
By 'tan' do you mean solid or with white?

A 'flashy' boxer is one with red and typical white marking on head, muzzle, chest and feet and like socks on the forelegs.

Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2009, 11:01 PM
Originally Posted by Carole View Post
Maybe its because they are my breed I can see the difference There are flashy boxers and solid/plain boxers so the amount of white varies.

Star is a plain(ish) red boxer and Finn is an extra, extra flashy brindle boxer (ie white)
But would 100 plain red boxers not all look the same? Pictures please. I do love the boxers ;o)

Originally Posted by labradork View Post
Frankly if you plunk 100 dogs of any breed of the same colour and similar lines and put them together, they are going to generally look the 'same'.
I don't agree. We met three working, liver and white springers last weekend and all of them looked totally different. Some had spots of colour, some had blocks, short and fat, tall and lean (that one was Woody ;o) and small and thin. This is where my train of thought has come from, they all looked completely different.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2009, 11:02 PM
Originally Posted by random View Post
By 'tan' do you mean solid or with white?

A 'flashy' boxer is one with red and typical white marking on head, muzzle, chest and feet and like socks on the forelegs.

Haha. I actually meant red solid as wasn't aware of the "proper" term ;o)

Lovely picture there and just what I mean. They look very similar.
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2009, 11:03 PM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
But would 100 plain red boxers not all look the same? Pictures please. I do love the boxers ;o)

I don't agree. We met three working, liver and white springers last weekend and all of them looked totally different. Some had spots of colour, some had blocks, short and fat, tall and lean (that one was Woody ;o) and small and thin. This is where my train of thought has come from, they all looked completely different.
To be fair, the working lines don't care much for aesthetics so they are always going to look very different. A line-up of showy springers would look more similar to one another.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2009, 11:04 PM
Originally Posted by random View Post
To be fair, the working lines don't care much for aesthetics so they are always going to look very different. A line-up of showy springers would look more similar to one another.
That is a VERY good point.
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

02-03-2009, 11:05 PM
Borzoi as any colour is permissable
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-03-2009, 11:05 PM
Yes they would look similar but if you compared them to plain brindles or flashy reds or brindles there is a big difference. Then the whites again are even more different

Compare Star to the pics Random posted She has very little white.

Shadowboxer had a lovely brindle boy with very little white. He is the breed profile pic.

http://www.dogsey.com/boxer.htm
susanatlasinski
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-03-2009, 11:31 PM
Siberians, like the borzois Any colour permissable but you also have a variety of shades and markings within the colours

e.g. Red: you can anything from the palest peach right through to a chocolate brown.

Black can be a broken black with black guard hairs and a paler undercoat to a monochrome black with black undercoat.

Then there is also all of the different facial markings too.....and eye colour.

There is ever a website dedicated to "colours of the Siberian husky"
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-03-2009, 12:50 AM
TBH (and I am gonna get shot down for this) I think any show line dogs tend to look a bit similar, cos of interpritation of the standard and what judges pick out the most
Working line dogs can tend to have a bit more varity in markings

To me border collies come in just about anything but the show ones tend to be irish marked black and white with the odd red and white and some merle cos they are popular
whereas you can get anything
Check this out

http://www.gis.net/~shepdog/BC_Museu.../BC_Looks.html
Lene
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-03-2009, 06:05 AM
Great Danes comes in many colours, but not all colours are permissible in the show ring.
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »