Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2023, 06:21 AM

Whoopee Wednesday 31st May 2023

Morning all. Well Tuesday went by and no-one came on. I bet you were all in the garden or washing cars? I got so immersed in my book and watching stuff on tele that the day went by. Anyway I hope you all have a good day today. Hopefully my friend Margaret will be over. Hope so as I have put the table up for eating fish and chips from Mr Chippy. Have a good one everyone.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

31-05-2023, 08:56 AM
Morning brenda and all to follow.
We were out most of the day as we went to Nottingham to meet Izzy and her puppies.

Chris still thinking of you all. Hugs.
brenda lunch sounds lovely fingers crossed Margret makes it.
griff hope you are keeping well
Kazz have a lovely day.
Sue hope you are ha ing less manic day.
Sue L
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2023, 09:05 AM
Good morning Brenda and Lynn

Hope Margaret makes it or lunch Brenda

Oooh puppy viewing how lovely.

Lovely morning here. Washing out and Teazle walked.

aNot planning doing a lot today as it was all go yesterday. Ben and the girls arrived here in the morning for Barry to help Ben with the brakes on his car. They spent quite a long time trying to find a socket that would fit his wheel nuts and one that did they wouldn't undo them as the tyre people the day before had put them on too tight. He later went down to have a wheel alignment check and asked them to ease the nuts for him, They said he would never have shifted them without the right tool, i.e air gun. Anyway alignment well out at the back which was why his tyres were so worn. Now all sorted we hope. Meantime I am playing cards and trying to cook dinner. Ben took Maria with him when he took the car for the alignment and I get a call to pick them up at 4pm to get Maria back to mine to change for gymnastics and then take her back. Once back and fed yet again we then made chocolate crispy cakes which they'd have taken home with them. By the time I had tidied up it was nearly 9.00pm. I was shattered. Never mind I did enjoy the day.

Take care everyone
tumbleweed
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

31-05-2023, 09:52 AM
just to add on Bens car the wheel nuts were HEX nuts not MM or AF .I have never seen/heard of HEX nuts used to tighten wheels before let alone owning any. Most odd

I wonder how many people ask a mechanic to make sure the airguns they use are set to the right torque, obviously the cowboy who last did his tyre change never bothered to check first
griff
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2023, 01:42 PM
Afternoon all
I have a cold.... lovely!
Barry, I was a technician at land rover and you are supposed to nip the wheel nuts up with an airgun and then use a torque wrench to the correct NM, we had to do it, specifically so people don't end up in the situation of your son and being unable to undo the nuts at the side of the road,.also BMW's and landrovers are renowned for their being a chemical reaction between the alloy wheels and the hubs, we had to use lumps of wood and hammers to get them off, dad got stuck at the side of the road and the rac guy had to do the same, now....I grease them whenever the wheel has been off
tumbleweed
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

31-05-2023, 03:14 PM
griff
I used to help out a home mechanic before we got married. thought nothing of replacing bottom crankshaft white shells - putting in piston rings - timing- valve reseating (grindingin by hand) . brake shoes/pads a piece of cake in comparison. Even rebuild a Morris minor completely.
Now with modern cars there is little one can do such as this ,what with specilised equipment etc
Not everyone ,such as me, have an airgun at home so have to use a torque bar

Griff I have had a very bad experience with a land rover dealership to the extent I wsas prepared to drive my landrover straight through the showroom window and resorted to threatening the service manager. Absolutely disgusting the landrover dealerships based on my experience and it was still under warranty.

Not me just saying Sue was there
griff
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2023, 06:11 PM
Oh, I know first hand how bad the dealerships are, it's actually pretty much all franchises now...very few independents about now. I started and it was Tom walkinshaw who owned the place, excellent dealership, nothing to much trouble, someone would have to die for there to be a job vacancy, next came Ixion.....nightmare place, I was third year apprentice and had a really bad accident in the workshop ( finished my career) I was working in the office....was signed off sick but couldn't cope having nothing to do, anyway I was told that if I didn't get back in the workshop at the end of the week, I would have to restart my apprenticeship! The reason? I was female and the dealer principal didn't approve of female techs!. Then changed to guy salmon and the reports I hear are abysmal, our local independent BMW sold out to sytner, we won't touch the place!
You can get an "air gun" m w for home use, it's actually just like a drill and very handy, they are cheaper than an airgun too.
The only thing you really genuinely need is a fault code reader, lots of the codes are nonsense and for £20 you can sort it yourself, a lot of cars have the engine management light come on and it's just the petrol cap not fitted properly, imagine how much garages make from that! My dad's car throws up fault codes when he drives over 40 miles, it's just an exhaust sensor, I clear it and it's fine.
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2023, 07:04 PM
Good evening everyone

Yes work and garden then choir for me yesterday.

Griff Hope you feel better soon when do you go in for your op?

Sue You will be lost without the children when they return make the most of them now sounds like a lovely day.

Chris Thinking of you all today at your brothers funeral. Love nd Hugs to all

Brenda I also can loose time in a book so easily, fish and chips hope they were scrumptious.

Lynn Puppy viewing come on tell all. Have you chosen or had chosen your pup yet?
griff
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2023, 07:43 PM
Kazz, it's supposed to be the 8th I think, subject to change, I am a little concerned as it's gone from day surgery unit to a actual ward....I don't intend staying!!
Chris, I lose track of days, I am hoping all went as well as can be today and that you all had a day of remembering your brother and good memories
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

31-05-2023, 07:49 PM
Fingers crossed for the 8th griff.
I hope it went as well as these things can do today Chris.

Kazz we were asked if we could make 3 choices people on Monday weren't able to as they are all very similar.
I had my eye on one in particular and my friend also said if you get a choice he is lovely, so he is our number one choice, and I also made the two other choices.
We will get one of those.
Really hoping it's our first choice but it really is a lovely litter so any would be amazing.
The breeder is definitely keeping a girl but may keep a boy so if one we are down for shows good potential for showing we may lose out.
But a choice of 3 is good.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >