Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-11-2013, 11:15 PM

We visited the elderly today :)

So I got clearance to take Nigredo to visit the elderly at a local Sunrise Assisted Living facility. It's a place for retired elderly people. It's rather prestigious among it's kind here, so I was happy to be able to visit.

I suited him up in his little sweater and scarves and we went down there. He did a very good job. He was very kind and gentle with all the old people and did well with the resident cat and dog as well.

I was asked if he had therapy training (of course he doesn't). We got many compliments from residents and workers alike and we are invited back for Christmas!

I was unable to shoot any video (against policy) and had to remove all faces from the photos, which pretty much limited me to crappy low angled pics.

They rarely allow large dogs, so I was extra proud the manager lady was all too happy to let him come after meeting him. All in all, I'm very proud of my buddy and everyone was happy to see him. *beams*

Here are the only two pics I was able to get...

I truly enjoyed meeting all the residents and workers and am glad they enjoyed our stay as much as we did. I'll certainly be back and hopefully I'll be able to stay longer next time.
Mattie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-11-2013, 07:27 AM
It is amazing how dogs enjoy going into places like that, I used to take Merlin into hospital to see my hubby, it would take about an hour to get to him.

The hospital prefered big dogs because it was easier for the patients to stroke them.

You both made a lot of people happy.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2013, 08:45 AM
Yay! What a great thing to do and do rewarding for everyone involved. I used to want Tonks to become a PAT dog but she's never got over the initial over excitement when meeting people or going new places. She'd be fine on a head collar but, over here, they don't like them to use a head collar or harness for their assessment, just a flat collar. I wonder if Remus might more suited.
bint
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-11-2013, 09:40 AM
That's lovely, will have made someone's day.
Two rottweilers used to visit the elderly ward I worked on a few years back and the clients looked forward to their visits so much. Was lovely to see the smiles and the dogs seemed to get a lot from it too
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2013, 01:17 PM
Thank you, everybody. It did make everyone (me and Nigredo included) VERY happy. I was stunned when someone asked if he had therapy training.

Of course he doesn't because I cannot afford such expensive training. Add in the fact that only wealthy people can afford to stay there... for a second I felt like I was in a higher bracket of society lol!

Catrin, Tonks seems like a very relaxed and calm dog. I'm surprised that she gets over-excited. I'm sure she doesn't jump or anything, just won't be still for people to pet her, right?

Mattie, this place likes smaller dogs because the old people are always 80+ and if jumped on, easily fall down and can hurt themselves. Also, many of them are demented, so big dogs have a higher chance of scaring them.