Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Roger Dodge
Dogsey Junior
Male 

10-07-2013, 08:23 AM

Grooming long hair terrier

I have a shaggy hair terrier and we was wondering with the hot weather should we give him a trim.
We are most concerned about the hair over his eyes.
Is there a comb that cuts at the same time.
Now i must admit what first attracted to him was his scruffy looks and if we had professionally trimmed that would go, but we also wont to do what is best for him.
All advise would be helpfull.
Reg
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-07-2013, 09:10 AM
We always took most of Duncan's coat off during the summer, he was far too hot with the long hair. Used scissors for a scruffy chop, and a decent hair clipper (electric) for a more groomed look.

Over the years he had various eye catching hair dos some more successful than laughable. Interestingly he would after a chop run around like a puppy for a few days like he had the weight of the world removed from him.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-07-2013, 09:30 AM
Is the dog the one you posted on the wedding photo thread?

If so he looks like he needs hand stripping.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-07-2013, 09:32 AM
Originally Posted by Julie View Post
We always took most of Duncan's coat off during the summer, he was far too hot with the long hair. Used scissors for a scruffy chop, and a decent hair clipper (electric) for a more groomed look.

Over the years he had various eye catching hair dos some more successful than laughable. Interestingly he would after a chop run around like a puppy for a few days like he had the weight of the world removed from him.
Funny you should say that Frankie my scruffy terrier is clipped in the heat although we only trim his face so that he doesn't entirely lose the endearing scruffy look. He too has been loving his short locks in this heat. It grows back in time for winter and he is panting much less without the weight of all that hair.
Roger Dodge
Dogsey Junior
Male 

10-07-2013, 09:20 PM
Hi all, yes hes my little scruf as photo in my wedding picture.
I went to pets at home to look at there trimming combs, £9 so ordered one on line for £1.75, it looks the same so fingers crossed.
He dose not seem to be to worred about his long hair but a trim will help, just not sure about the hair over his eyes.
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2013, 01:57 PM
If there is a lot of hair over his eyes you can trim it but my advice would be to keep a brow over his eyes as it'll work as as a sun-shade. If you think your dog is hairy take a look at my two Good luck and whatever you do it will all grow back anyway.