register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: would you pay for an off lead walk for your dog while in kennels
Yes! everyday 17 47.22%
Yes every other day 5 13.89%
Only once or twice durin their stay 2 5.56%
No, not atall 12 33.33%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 5 of 8 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2011, 08:10 AM
I worked at a kennels many many years ago. There were 100 dogs and two of us. The owners didn't do anything except mix the food----a huge tub of mixer biscuit and 10 tins of chum mixed in. No walks but outdoor runs on every kennel, concrete for a few the rest grass.

Dogs survived OK for a up to a fortnight which is the normal sort of time-----some had been there a lot longer. Very sad.

Before the owners were due they were taken out and disinfected and made to smell nicer.

I lasted four weeks of the summer holiday, I think I was sixteen.

My dogs have never been near kennels, friends, and now daughter, have always had them.

If I had to look now I'd be very fussy.

rune
Annestaff
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

09-06-2011, 08:11 AM
Off topic posts deleted
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2011, 08:19 AM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
I worked at a kennels many many years ago. There were 100 dogs and two of us. The owners didn't do anything except mix the food----a huge tub of mixer biscuit and 10 tins of chum mixed in. No walks but outdoor runs on every kennel, concrete for a few the rest grass.

Dogs survived OK for a up to a fortnight which is the normal sort of time-----some had been there a lot longer. Very sad.

Before the owners were due they were taken out and disinfected and made to smell nicer.

My dogs have never been near kennels, friends, and now daughter, have always had them.

rune
Good post rune, well said.
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2011, 08:30 AM
Smokeybear, can I ask where do your dogs go? Im looking for somewhere safe for mine.Dont mind travelling
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2011, 08:34 AM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
Well I totally disagree with you, and I suspect that I am not in the minority. To deprive a dog of exercise is the 3rd worse thing you could possibly do, after water and food deprivation. Especially bearing in mind your dogs are large.
kennels i worked in had large runs attached to the kennels,they were not just shut in a small concrete box

i would rather my sibes would not be able to escape(which can and does happen at kennels!)they would take no darn notice of kennel staff on a 'walk' that i DO know.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2011, 09:40 AM
When I worked in kennels we had little 'paddocks' that the dogs went into morning and evening, just after staff get there, and just before we left, so that the dogs had a chance to do their business, as many dogs even with the split kennel wouldn't want to go in there (tbh I think Honey would be the same, and otoh we had some dogs that would go right by their beds ) and during the day if it was a suitable day some dogs would go into the paddocks on their own while we were walking the other dogs around (but we could always see them), their was however one problem with one dog, she was a very atheletic springer, who although the fences, I think some of them were around seven foot, she managed to scale the fences and join another dog on a walk (one that she had never met, but her and the other springer became best friends, suppose it was because of how often they were in the kennels ).

Tbh though I would pay for my dogs to have extra time in a paddock as long as someone was able to supervise, and in a kennel enviroment muzzle them at all times off lead, as with Honey having thin skin it can get damaged easily, infact I think both things would be a neccasity, otherwise they would be going mad, and driving the workers up the wall .
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2011, 09:45 AM
Originally Posted by rune View Post

rune
That kennel sounds horrid, were I worked there was only twenty kennels in each block, and depending on how full it was two people in the morning to help clean out, and one person in the afternoon in each block, but if it was too much there would be two people in each block in the afternoon too, the owners only helped out when they had to, or sat in the office, but they were there, we fed royal canin as our food or owners own if asked, each kennel had a indoor and outdoor area, and each dog was taken for walks twice a day, and put in the paddocks at least twice a day, the only exception I can think of was a Polish Lowland Sheepdog that I was asked to look after, it bit the owners when they tried to put a lead on it, and I was told not to touch its harness (which had to be left on the whole time because of aggression) which tbh as I only had him the weekend I only moved him to take him out to the paddock, where he would let me sit near him, but not touch him, and when the owners came to pick him up, I made them put the lead on him, they wasn't happy, and didn't come back again, but I was 16 too, and didn't see why I had to put myself to being bitten by this dog. We also very rarely bathed the dogs, in fact being there a year I think I only heard of two being bathed, and the owners never complained about any smells on their dogs either .
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2011, 01:10 PM
The kennels we go to do this free of extra charge anyway, so no would not pay extra.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2011, 05:19 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
Well I totally disagree with you, and I suspect that I am not in the minority. To deprive a dog of exercise is the 3rd worse thing you could possibly do, after water and food deprivation. Especially bearing in mind your dogs are large.
That is what a forum is for, to discuss, agree or disagree.

Everyone has their own views there is no ONE right answer for ALL dogs and ALL circumstances is there?

We are, thank goodness, all free to care for our dogs in the way WE think is best for THEM; and as in all things, training, equipment, feeding, rearing we are all different!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2011, 05:19 PM
Originally Posted by Kerriebaby View Post
Smokeybear, can I ask where do your dogs go? Im looking for somewhere safe for mine.Dont mind travelling
Well it might be a little far for you, mine are in Herefordshire.............
Page 5 of 8 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >