Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-12-2010, 04:00 PM

Wolves in the Wild

Just wondered if any one has ever seen any or participated in any studies/research projects and where. Also what's involved with volunteering. Watching Yellowstone has set me off again
Many thanks.
Noushka05
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-12-2010, 07:24 PM
if i had my time again i'd love to have been a biologist and wolves would be the animal i'd study im passionate about them, dont know if youve seen it already but if not you should check out David Mech's website hes amazing! probably the leading authority on wolf ecology ...http://www.davemech.org/

sadly if the anti-wolf brigade manage to get their way and congress amend the ESA to remove the wolves protections than the wolves in the states around Yellowstone will be once again be at the mercy of the hunters, and this will ultimately effect the wolves in yellowstone park as they will not be able to disperse, the wolves will be trapped within a genetic bottleneck

anyway good luck i hope you are able to go for it ....i'll be so jealous
Tarimoor
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-12-2010, 07:40 PM
I didn't want to reply earlier as I haven't been involved in any studies as such, but lived in Southern Africa and saw African Wild Dogs a few times, if you like, I'll dig out the photos I took, to scan and post them. They are (I think) numerically fewer than grey or timber wolves, not as endangered however as Ethiopian wolves.
Noushka05
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-12-2010, 08:24 PM
Originally Posted by Tarimoor View Post
I didn't want to reply earlier as I haven't been involved in any studies as such, but lived in Southern Africa and saw African Wild Dogs a few times, if you like, I'll dig out the photos I took, to scan and post them. They are (I think) numerically fewer than grey or timber wolves, not as endangered however as Ethiopian wolves.
African wild dogs are far more endangered than grey wolves, but the Ethiopian wolf is the worlds most endangered canid with numbers down to 500 animals.....good old man! hes doing a great job persecuting the canids of this world
Tarimoor
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-12-2010, 08:31 PM
Originally Posted by NOUSHKA05 View Post
African wild dogs are far more endangered than grey wolves, but the Ethiopian wolf is the worlds most endangered canid with numbers down to 500 animals.....good old man! hes doing a great job persecuting the canids of this world
Yes, but you have to appreciate, that numbers in certain areas have to be in proportion to what is sustainable.

Man intervened very wrongly in the case of the African Wild Dog, and made up false packs, by taking young dogs from the wild and bunging them together for release, didn't work.

Unfortunately we don't live in a perfect world, the animals that once roamed wild and free do not have the same amount of land to roam, as originally. The survival of these species depends on their impact on the environment around them, some would argue, and I wouldn't disagree, that it should be the impact of man on the environment in question. But, the over-riding issues is survival of species, and if control is necessary to maintain survival because of any predation issues, then that control needs to be in place.

Apols to the OP as I didn't want to turn this into any issues about controlling numbers of certain species, but wanted to reply to the point put forward.
Noushka05
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-12-2010, 08:37 PM
Yes, but you have to appreciate, that numbers in certain areas have to be in proportion to what is sustainable.

Man intervened very wrongly in the case of the African Wild Dog, and made up false packs, by taking young dogs from the wild and bunging them together for release, didn't work.

Unfortunately we don't live in a perfect world, the animals that once roamed wild and free do not have the same amount of land to roam, as originally. The survival of these species depends on their impact on the environment around them, some would argue, and I wouldn't disagree, that it should be the impact of man on the environment in question. But, the over-riding issues is survival of species, and if control is necessary to maintain survival because of any predation issues, then that control needs to be in place.

Apols to the OP as I didn't want to turn this into any issues about controlling numbers of certain species, but wanted to reply to the point put forward.
compassionate conservation works, but to far too many people the lives of animals cheap...if people could be bothered to change then there are proven alternatives to predator control.

sorry K9paw im not going to spoil your thread either i wont be replying to Tarimoor' again
Tarimoor
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-12-2010, 08:43 PM
Apols to the op in advance....

compassionate conservation works, but to far too many people the lives of animals cheap...if people could be bothered to change then there are proven alternatives to predator control.

sorry K9paw im not going to spoil your thread either i wont be replying to Torrimoor again
It's 'Tarimoor' - Ta from 'Tau', R from Rhuna, a much loved and now gone rescue oldie, I from 'Indie', and moor, because I'm from Yorkshire Or you can just call me Joanne, which I've never kept a secret.....
Tarimoor
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-12-2010, 09:02 PM
Here's my two pics of the wild dogs anyway, for what they're worth, the first one is the pack leader....

And two more of the pack

They'd only recently hunted and killed an Impala,. hence the rotund bellies.
Noushka05
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-12-2010, 09:43 PM
Apols to the op in advance....

It's 'Tarimoor' - Ta from 'Tau', R from Rhuna, a much loved and now gone rescue oldie, I from 'Indie', and moor, because I'm from Yorkshire Or you can just call me Joanne, which I've never kept a secret.....
Here's my two pics of the wild dogs anyway, for what they're worth, the first one is the pack leader....

And two more of the pack

They'd only recently hunted and killed an Impala,. hence the rotund bellies.
i know i said i wouldnt reply so im very sorry K9paw

and apologies to you aswell Joanne it was a genuine mistake and i will edit my post .....well we have one thing in common at least!... our names

stunning pics by the way they are one of my favourite animals, thank you for sharing
Tarimoor
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-12-2010, 10:34 PM
i know i said i wouldnt reply so im very sorry K9paw

and apologies to you aswell Joanne it was a genuine mistake and i will edit my post .....well we have one thing in common at least!... our names

stunning pics by the way they are one of my favourite animals, thank you for sharing
Apologies K9, not wanting to take this off on any tangents, but, believe it or not, one of my favourite animals too. But, having lived in Africa, I do see the need for 'containment' as it were, for certain species. If you want to take it off on another thread, I'm happy to discuss, all wild animals are beautiful, sadly there is less wild, and less wild animals around nowadays.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >