View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2010, 10:00 PM
I got a couple of joints of Waitrose beef last week which were reduced to a third of the original price. Must admit I cook most meat in our slow-cooker now as Jamie says it is really nice and tender cooked like that (I'm vegetarian).
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2010, 10:07 PM
Rune, is it cooked yet????

Going to do a joint of pork in the slow cooker for New Years Day.... ok so no crackling, but I can never get it right & my mum's dentures can't cope with it anyway.

Yes it does come out very tender, but I would cut off any and all fat you can see before cooking - it will just make it too oily and greasy, and the slow-cooking method doesn't need fat to tenderise the meat (as it does in roasting).
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2010, 10:28 PM
Originally Posted by MerlinsMum View Post
Rune, is it cooked yet????

Going to do a joint of pork in the slow cooker for New Years Day.... ok so no crackling, but I can never get it right & my mum's dentures can't cope with it anyway.

Yes it does come out very tender, but I would cut off any and all fat you can see before cooking - it will just make it too oily and greasy, and the slow-cooking method doesn't need fat to tenderise the meat (as it does in roasting).
It has cooked itself in sort of stringy bits---it's truly awful!

I think I am going to chuck the lot and chalk it up to experience.

Enjoy your pork!

rune
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2010, 10:55 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
It has cooked itself in sort of stringy bits---it's truly awful!
It's gone into long shreds? Ah... it can do that.... if you can keep it in one piece then carve it acrosswise, that works. Pork can go like that too but in the southern USA states they call that Pulled Pork, when it shreds into tender bits, pull up with a fork mix it with sauce and then it becomes "BBQ" as they call it in Alabama. I won't mind if it goes like that too much..... and mum's tastebuds have gone....!
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

29-12-2010, 09:45 AM
Originally Posted by tillytheterrier View Post
Oh dear, I've got a joint of (Sainsburys) beef for Thursday. I never manage to get tender beef. Anyone got any beef roasting tips?
I buy beef from Sainsbury's or Marks, never buy from tesco, never had a good piece yet.

Slow cooking is the answer to a tender piece of beed.

Place beef in a roasting dish.

Pure in some cold water, half way up the roasting dish,

Place a red onion chopped into 4, and a few cloves of garlic in the dish

Then you need to seal the beef in the tray, so it steams /slow cooks for hrs.

Put some bacofoil over the top and crimp it in around the sides of the roasting tray, make it air tight, so on moisture can escape,

Place it then in a low set oven (I use an aga so cant give you a setting ) but my guess would be if you normally cook on say 6/7 put it on 3/4 ...and let it simmer away for up to 6/7 hrs... I would put mine in the oven about 11am to eat for 6pm.

Just leave it and let it cook on its own.

Check it about 3/4 hr before you want to eat it, you can leave the foil off then if you want it to crisp up, turn the heat up if you feel it needs a little extra.

use the juice for your gravy.

the meat should fall apart, and have a lovely taste to it too.
tillytheterrier
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2010, 09:50 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
I buy beef from Sainsbury's or Marks, never buy from tesco, never had a good piece yet.

Slow cooking is the answer to a tender piece of beed.

Place beef in a roasting dish.

Pure in some cold water, half way up the roasting dish,

Place a red onion chopped into 4, and a few cloves of garlic in the dish

Then you need to seal the beef in the tray, so it steams /slow cooks for hrs.

Put some bacofoil over the top and crimp it in around the sides of the roasting tray, make it air tight, so on moisture can escape,

Place it then in a low set oven (I use an aga so cant give you a setting ) but my guess would be if you normally cook on say 6/7 put it on 3/4 ...and let it simmer away for up to 6/7 hrs... I would put mine in the oven about 11am to eat for 6pm.

Just leave it and let it cook on its own.

Check it about 3/4 hr before you want to eat it, you can leave the foil off then if you want it to crisp up, turn the heat up if you feel it needs a little extra.

use the juice for your gravy.

the meat should fall apart, and have a lovely taste to it too.
Thank you so much for that. Im going to give it a try as never slow cooked beef before. Will let you know how it goes! Cheers!
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2010, 09:55 AM
Thanks for that but I will in future stick to our farm butcher and get a large joint and roast it and let it fall apart! Their meat is fantastic and I never realised how good till now!

rune
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2010, 07:02 PM
Think the hairy bikers way of roasting beef was spot on(rib roast), 20 minutes at 220 degree, then turn down to think was 180/60? for 15/20 mins per kilo n leave to rest. Please check/look up first though(i forget a bit now) mine was lot less as like it very rare.
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2010, 07:19 PM
It makes a big difference how long the beef has been hung for. A really good piece from a quality butcher should have been hung for 3-4 weeks and be a deep, deep red, almost purple when raw. If it has only been hung for a very short time it will be bright, bright red, which is what a lot of supermarket beef looks like. The hanging process tenderises the eat and adds flavour and unfortunately makes it more expensive.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2