Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

16-12-2006, 02:17 AM

"Power Chewer" Any Ideas ?

Hi

I'm wondering if anybody has come accross any products that stand up well to dogs deemed "power chewers".

Fingal, my Spaniel loves his toys but he just ends up destroying them within hours of getting them.

We have real fires in our house so there's no shortage of logs that he can have outside in the garden but if he brings one of his logs indoors then it's a right mess.

One time I visited my mum and dad we forgot to take a toy so (just in case he damaged stuff) I went to the local pet shop and asked what products they had for a dog that liked to chew.

The lady sold me a kong. The really big one. OK I accept it's not a toy designed for chewing but I was happy to get one simply because it would occupy him for a few days.

At home Fingal has logs (in the garden) and big heavy rubber balls which he has no desire to chew (in the house) and that's it. Everthing else gets destroyed.

Anyway, I paid (a lot) for the large Kong and the lady said (joking) if he wrecks it, bring it back.

The same day, having swept the bit's up I went back . The lady said she had never seen a Kong 'go' so quickly. She asked if we had a crocodile and to her credit, gave me a full refund adding that she couldn't give us anything tougher.

Fingal has his big rubber balls (for play) which don't give him chew time. He has his logs in the garden which he loves but if he spends too long with them he has woody poos, and he has a selection of rocks which he enjoys but aren't really good for his teeth.

Does anybody have any ideas ?

Here's a pic - you can see he's strong in the head / jaw although a jumbo Kong in 100 bits in an hour is going some !

BrandieSnap
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-12-2006, 02:49 AM
Gorgeous dog

Was the kong a black one? The black ones are stronger the red ones If it was already black then I can't help
Although it might help if you filled a kong then put in the freezer for a few hours. A frozen one might last a bit longer A medium or large might be better than the huge one, I find them less "squashy"
I think people give frozen socks to teething puppies, not sure if that would make a good chew toy for an older dog though

Can't think of anything else. My Brandie used to go through her toys pretty quick Just keep testing!
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-12-2006, 06:43 AM
The only Kong that wasn't destroyed by my staffords was the large black kong. The only other thing that withstood them chewing was a large rope toy.

As Brandie says try freezing the kong first.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-12-2006, 09:01 AM
What a beautiful boy you've got there.

I too tried a Kong but it didn't last, yet I've had them since for the younger dogs and they've lasted and lasted, still got them in fact.

Mine love those big thick rope toys, I make sure I get the thickest knottiest ones so that they last whether they are being chewed or played tug of war with.

If you find anything else do please let us know.
bessey112
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-12-2006, 09:51 AM
Hi,
2 out of my 3 are chewers when it comes to toys or should that be destroyers
The only thing my male (he is worst) hasnt been able to totally destroy within 2 minutes are the really thick heavy duty ropes. The cheap ones last all of 30 seconds Other than that ive got them the solid bone shape toys made of rubber.They do get through them eventually but not as quick.Boomer balls are good but mine wont play with them as they cant wreck them

sarah
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-12-2006, 10:13 AM
Have you tried a big nylabone with him?
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

16-12-2006, 10:45 AM
Originally Posted by Evie View Post
Have you tried a big nylabone with him?
I also like Nylabone and have had a small one for about 10 years

This big one looks good (from Pet Planet), they have a whole range of nylabones ...

and this....
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

16-12-2006, 11:13 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. The Kong was red so i may try a black one. I can't remember if he'd had a nylabone or not.

I'll let him know and he can do his list to Santa !

Phil
Amie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-12-2006, 05:06 PM
Parker is a real chewer I brought him a Cuz toy its a ball with feet, he did get the feet off but has been chewing the ball for about a year
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

16-12-2006, 05:41 PM
Once I'd plucked up the courage to take this 'odd' looking thing to the counter, I bought one of these.

http://www.pet-gift.net/dogtreats/dinobone.jpg
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >