Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-12-2011, 02:31 PM

"Put Them in the Garage"

I live with my folks and my Mum is always complaining about the dogs being under her feet. When the central heating is on Jed gets too hot and constantly asks to be let outside. Obviously when it's chucking it down or bad weather I dont really want him outside as he has no shelter (when I had my own place I had a plastic kennel outside but the folks wont have one in their garden).
A conversation with my Dad went like this:
Dad: "I've told your Mum if the dogs get under her feet to just put them in the garage"
Me: "I dont want them in the garage!"
Dad: "Why not?"
Me: "Because it's dangerous in there for a start..."
Dad: "Why is it?"
Me: "Because there are saws, knives, screwdrivers and chemicals lying about. Plus, do you really think the dogs would settle?"
Dad: "Yes, of course they would"
Me: "Errr, no, I dont think so because they arent used to being in there. I DONT WANT THEM PUT IN THE GARAGE!"

My Mum got up at 2am the other night because my Dad was yelling. He'd gone into the kitchen and one of the dogs had messed and he was kicking off about it. It's silly little things like if he sees Jessie is lying in one of the bigger beds, he makes her get out and into the small one. As soon as she sees him she automatically moves and sits looking sheepish. Plus, he's always just shoving the dogs out into the garden and shutting the back door on them, no matter what the weather is doing. Plus he winds Flynn up by staring at him because he knows he doesnt like it and it makes him bark and growl.

It's gotten to the point now where I wont leave my dogs alone with him. He doesnt mistreat them but they annoy him and it shows. If I take one dog to training class then the other 2 come with us but get left in the car because i'd rather that than leave them at home when he is in. If i'm upstairs and he thinks I cant hear, I often hear him barking at them to move or get out of the way or go and lie down etc. The garage comment just shows how little he actually knows and how he would be prepared to treat them

Just wanted to get that little rant off my chest because its annoyed me greatly! If I had just one wish, as selfish as it seems when there is so much suffering in the world, i'd wish for my own place and my own space so that I dont have to live on tenterhooks.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-12-2011, 02:41 PM
Try to look at it from their POV though, it can be tough living with dogs that aren't your own. I know my brother's got a bit annoyed by the dogs at times. Stupid things like him leaving food within their reach on a side and them jumping up to get it - a habit that him and his girlfriend inadvertently taught them by feeding them from their plates, leaving very tempting food at head-height on the coffee table and then on the kitchen side, but still annoying to him. He did get a say in Kiki staying and me getting Casper though so he has put up with them, and I wouldn't allow him not to, but I don't blame him when he shuts the dogs out in the kitchen to allow himself to eat dinner in peace or whatever.

Any chance of a compromise? Would the garage be suitable if you had a big clearout and put locks on some cupboards? Get a sofa off Freecycle, a rug, stick a radio in there etc., if it's just while you're not home then it's going to be a little warmer and more protected from the elements than them being chucked outside.
Zuluandnaomi
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-12-2011, 02:53 PM
I'm in the same situation to be honest. Although fortunately my parents adore Zulu, but we are restricted to certain areas of the house, and I do have to respect that as its their house and he's not their dog. Unfortunately you cant expect anyone to love your dogs as much as you do.

I think your initial reaction to the garage was probably a bit defensive...I did the same thing when my mum suggested an outdoor kennel for Zulu (which never actually happened anyway). I think if the garage was made safe its actually quite a good place for them. If they dont like quiet you could pop on a radio or something? As long as its warm and dry they will probably just sleep anyway! Put in some toys for them like a kong or something and some comfy beds I think they would get on fine - I'd love a space like that.

How about trying to get them involved with some training with them? Get him to teach them some tricks or invite them for a walk with you? Sometimes if they see how clever and funny the dogs can be it helps build up a bond. For example with my dad and zulu normally he wont give him a second look, but if he's outside working he likes to have something/one to talk to so he lets Zulu out and they just "chat" and Zulu carries his bits of wood and tools around so it amuses him.

I know its tough, but you do have to try and see it from their point of view and try and come to a middle ground otherwise you'll all be stressing!
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-12-2011, 03:07 PM
I think compromise would be the best answer, instead of in the garage, ask if you can put a Kennel or two in the garden, that way they are out of the way, they would settle in the garden and they wouldn't be in harms way as in chemicals etc.

I know it might be a long shot with what you were saying about the kennels the other night but if your parents have that much of a problem with them in the kitchen, then it could be the only compromise.. just hang a wall basket on the side and make it pretty..

I don't know what else to say..
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-12-2011, 03:07 PM
Tell them that if they actually let the dogs further than the kitchen, it wouldn't feel like they were under their feet so much when they were using the kitchen!

TBH, you probably are not going to get people who don't like dogs to change. It sounds as though your parents are on the lower end of the 'tolerance' scale when it comes to them.

Is moving out definitely not an option at the moment?
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-12-2011, 03:45 PM
Originally Posted by Leanne_W View Post
I live with my folks and my Mum is always complaining about the dogs being under her feet. When the central heating is on Jed gets too hot and constantly asks to be let outside. Obviously when it's chucking it down or bad weather I dont really want him outside as he has no shelter (when I had my own place I had a plastic kennel outside but the folks wont have one in their garden).
A conversation with my Dad went like this:
Dad: "I've told your Mum if the dogs get under her feet to just put them in the garage"
Me: "I dont want them in the garage!"
Dad: "Why not?"
Me: "Because it's dangerous in there for a start..."
Dad: "Why is it?"
Me: "Because there are saws, knives, screwdrivers and chemicals lying about. Plus, do you really think the dogs would settle?"
Dad: "Yes, of course they would"
Me: "Errr, no, I dont think so because they arent used to being in there. I DONT WANT THEM PUT IN THE GARAGE!"

My Mum got up at 2am the other night because my Dad was yelling. He'd gone into the kitchen and one of the dogs had messed and he was kicking off about it. It's silly little things like if he sees Jessie is lying in one of the bigger beds, he makes her get out and into the small one. As soon as she sees him she automatically moves and sits looking sheepish. Plus, he's always just shoving the dogs out into the garden and shutting the back door on them, no matter what the weather is doing. Plus he winds Flynn up by staring at him because he knows he doesnt like it and it makes him bark and growl.

It's gotten to the point now where I wont leave my dogs alone with him. He doesnt mistreat them but they annoy him and it shows. If I take one dog to training class then the other 2 come with us but get left in the car because i'd rather that than leave them at home when he is in. If i'm upstairs and he thinks I cant hear, I often hear him barking at them to move or get out of the way or go and lie down etc. The garage comment just shows how little he actually knows and how he would be prepared to treat them

Just wanted to get that little rant off my chest because its annoyed me greatly! If I had just one wish, as selfish as it seems when there is so much suffering in the world, i'd wish for my own place and my own space so that I dont have to live on tenterhooks.
oh leanne i feel for you! i know exactly what you mean! i live with my nana, and we constantly argue over the dogs!
she doesnt like how i feed them raw, or bones, because they are dangerous she says.. she hates that i take the dogs out in mud, because they get dirty

we just have completely different views on raising on dogs...

maybe we could move in together with the hounds just suggesting?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-12-2011, 03:59 PM
Much as I sympathise, the fact is that you live with your parents in THEIR house and you are lucky, many people would not tolerate dogs at all.

What is the alternative? Can you move out? If not, perhaps you all need to sit down around the table and work out what is best for everyone.

I know for example, when I visit my mother that she prefers not to have the dogs in, just as if and when she visits me, she has to go outside to smoke.

He who owns the house, makes the rules.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-12-2011, 04:10 PM
I do feel for you If moving out isn't an option, how about getting a kennel large enough for the three of them in the garden.

This is my kennel and Zak is in it at the moment, and probably will be for the foreseeable future. He is perfectly happy out there and can't get into the sort of mischief he definitely would in the house when I couldn't be watching him It is a decent size but, I think, doesn't look unattractive especially, as someone has already said, if you put up a hanging basket or two. Even if the dogs just spent some of their time out there, it might get the parents off your back.

WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-12-2011, 04:19 PM
I sympathise because things are not easy when I take the dog to visit my parents either...

I think everyone on this site takes dog ownership very seriously and only want the best for their dogs, but we have to kind of accept that not everyone would keep their dogs this way.

I have constant trouble when I go home, about my parents inviting people over without telling me, so Kestral kicks off, they say she barks a lot and is aggressive. I say warn me and I will manage the situation.. they then say I am being over the top and there is no problem.

The animals are not allowed out of the kitchen, I am not allowed to put any bedding or toys in there to entertain her and they moan she will not settle and chases the cats.

I ask them not to let her in to the garden as she barks. They let her out and moan she barks.

The cats are both unwell but they will not treat them or give them a bed at 15+ in age.

I think living with parents is always stressful and I am fortunate I don't go home often, I love my parents but our views on caring for animals are just not the same.

The suggestion about changing the garage in to a dog safe area for when you are out sounds a good idea if you can get them to agree to that - that way there is no visible visual changes to the house/garden, and they would probably be happier with the dogs out the way, as would you not worrying about what is going on...

Hope you manage to sort things out!
kate_7590
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-12-2011, 04:53 PM
I feel for you.

When I go to my parents my dogs are very much the outcasts..their dog cant do wrong in their eyes, but what they dont see is him circling mine and winding them up!

Anyway, we used to argue where my dogs could stay when we were there and wanted to go out. The perimeter of their land isnt very secure, Simba can pretty much step over the fences so one day I decided to clear the garage out, move all the things that could possibly injure them and I put a big sheet of vet bed in there for them.
Now whenever we go out we pop my dogs in the garage with their vetbed and some toys and a bowl of water and they're fine in there.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »