View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-09-2010, 08:14 PM
I was sitting on the heath recently reading a paper whilst Parker snuffled about. The next thing I knew a man turned the corner and was right nearby with 2 greyhounds with muzzles on like yours. I called Parker but he was too near the greyhounds to resist the temptation to introduce himself and he went to sniff one of their bums and the greyhound butted him in the tummy with its muzzle! He yelped and moved away. Serves you right I said!

I used to muzzle Cherry at agility classes as she could go off on one and I wanted to make sure she couldn't hurt any of the other dogs. A child came to watch one week and she was really frightened of Cherry but I pointed out that Cherry was actually the safest dog there!

We have a few people who have to muzzle their Labs/Golden Retrievers on the heath because they eat anything.
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-09-2010, 08:19 PM
....forgot to say, in the summer we were walking round a nature reserve at the part where you were supposed to have your dogs leashed. A large Great Dane size cross-breed was approaching off-lead and muzzled. I shouted to the man to leash his dog as my bitch was dog-reactive but he was a bit snotty and said "Have a nice day" sarcastically when I pointed out that dogs were supposed to be leashed at that point in the walk anyway.

Cherry is fear-reactive to large dogs and I didn't know why this dog was muzzled. She would kick off if it approached her head-on.

I have also seen a muzzled Rottweiller at a dog show pin a whippet puppy against the wall. It terrified the puppy at its first show.

Having your dog muzzled doesn't mean that you can let it do what it likes in my opinion-you should still be keeping it under control.
grommit
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-09-2010, 08:33 PM
Aww poor whippet, how awful

We used to muzzle our hounds for walks and still muzzle Phil if he is off lead but after 2 and half years we are making steady progress with Paris and i now trust her off lead. She has made several doggy friends locally and her recall is fantastic.

Phil on the other hand does not come back regardless of a pocketfull of high value treats and clicker training He is never offlead unless muzzled and the area is checked and completely dog free (so not very often at all ). We had an incident where a man appeared out of the bushes with his labrador once (!) and phil ran straight to him ignoring us completely and we had to go and fetch him... very embarrasing but the exact reason he wears a muzzle as he has very limited doggy manners...

I have to agree i have had some very bizarre reactions from people when the dogs are muzzled!
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-09-2010, 08:57 PM
The muzzles like that only currently come in black as they are a new design.

I agree with the above, being muzzled isn't an excuse to let them be out of control, you're right.
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3