View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
cintvelt
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-09-2010, 08:28 PM
you should tell the parents "actually, he has braces....he's so bad at biting that we've had his teeth fixed...." see how they react....

But seriously... I came upon our first approaching muzzled on-lead dog recently... I saw him coming from a distance... and my reaction was to put Tess on lead straight away.... basically because I know that the fewer nasty situations dog aggressive dogs are put into, the better... when we came fairy close I called over to ask if it was ok to pass by.... and the lady said, sure, no problem...

Turns out that this was the first time the dog was muzzled... not because it was in any way aggressive (basically still a dopey lab pup) but because he ate anything and everything he found.... and had been seriously ill on three occasions as a result.....and therefore the only option was either to muzzle and walk, or not walk at all.... but the poor dog looked absolutely miserable...

Anyway... the end result was that she let her dog offlead (but still muzzled) and both dogs had a great rump together... and by the end of it the dog seemed to have realized that he could still have fun despite his "basket".... and the lady simply couldn't stop thanking me for helping her.....

but I must admit..... seeing a muzzled dog from a distance, not knowing what the issue is..... it did make me put up my guard....

sorry, couldn't help it.....
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-09-2010, 08:34 PM
Great example, nothing wrong with being careful as you do never know, but there is a difference between putting your dog onlead and asking to come by, and running away screaming or gathering your children close...I don't see anything wrong in what you did. I just don't like being a leper and being treated like Axel is a monster, he's not.

Glad the pup and your dog got to play together. That's the difference I think, Greyhounds who race are acclimatised to muzzles young and associate them with being out and about, so most don't mind too much when out, other than perhaps the odd leg rub against obliging strangers, but some dogs aren't allowed to get used to the muzzle first and so don't like it, hopefully that pup now has a positive experience to remember in one!
lore
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-09-2010, 08:37 PM
Originally Posted by cintvelt View Post
you should tell the parents "actually, he has braces....he's so bad at biting that we've had his teeth fixed...." see how they react....

But seriously... I came upon our first approaching muzzled on-lead dog recently... I saw him coming from a distance... and my reaction was to put Tess on lead straight away.... basically because I know that the fewer nasty situations dog aggressive dogs are put into, the better... when we came fairy close I called over to ask if it was ok to pass by.... and the lady said, sure, no problem...

Turns out that this was the first time the dog was muzzled... not because it was in any way aggressive (basically still a dopey lab pup) but because he ate anything and everything he found.... and had been seriously ill on three occasions as a result.....and therefore the only option was either to muzzle and walk, or not walk at all.... but the poor dog looked absolutely miserable...

Anyway... the end result was that she let her dog offlead (but still muzzled) and both dogs had a great rump together... and by the end of it the dog seemed to have realized that he could still have fun despite his "basket".... and the lady simply couldn't stop thanking me for helping her.....

but I must admit..... seeing a muzzled dog from a distance, not knowing what the issue is..... it did make me put up my guard....

I have to admit I reacted the same when we were out with Brock and Dougal and met another lab muzzled. Was a bit wary, but apparently she also is an eater of anything and everything...therefore a muzzle was required.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-09-2010, 08:50 PM
Originally Posted by cintvelt View Post

See, I like owners like you

The reason Teagan has to be muzzled is because people let their dogs run up to her and attack her, and now she attacks first.
She is always on lead, but I only muzzle her in highly populated dog areas.

But if someone calls their dog back, and keeps it under control, I give a "Thanks! She's not keen on other dogs!"
cintvelt
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-09-2010, 08:51 PM
Originally Posted by Insomnia View Post
Great example, nothing wrong with being careful as you do never know, but there is a difference between putting your dog onlead and asking to come by, and running away screaming or gathering your children close...I don't see anything wrong in what you did. I just don't like being a leper and being treated like Axel is a monster, he's not.

Glad the pup and your dog got to play together. That's the difference I think, Greyhounds who race are acclimatised to muzzles young and associate them with being out and about, so most don't mind too much when out, other than perhaps the odd leg rub against obliging strangers, but some dogs aren't allowed to get used to the muzzle first and so don't like it, hopefully that pup now has a positive experience to remember in one!
I think he did.....

And I have to say... this experience taught me a lesson as well.... namely that not all dogs are muzzled because they're either people or dog aggressive.... so it was a good learning moment for all involved and I must say, I was proud of Tess as the muzzle didn't phase her in any way ....

As for people running away or screaming.... well, you know... they're nuts! Nothing to do with your dog.... everything to do with the fact that they don't know anything about dogs.... I've had 2 teenagers climbing a tree (in an off lead area) out of fear for my little BC.... I put Tess onlead and asked what they were doing up the tree.... they replied that they were terrified of all dogs....

yup... a little education would help methinks.....
angied
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-09-2010, 08:53 PM
i get asked the same thing when they are wearing halti collars!!!
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-09-2010, 11:39 PM
ive had the same thing when Jake has been wearing his dogmatic headcollar
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-09-2010, 01:30 PM
How does having a halti stop aggression? I don't think it could!

Glad people do call their dogs away, I don't like dogs just running up to any on-lead dog, muzzled or not. I honestly don't know why people run away screaming.

Yesterday I actually had 2 small boys run so far and fast they only just stopped in time to not get hit by a car...I told them in no uncertain terms that there is a lot more danger to them from cars than my dog! The only reason they didn't get hit was because their Dad managed to catch them in time.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-09-2010, 01:34 PM
Wonder whether people would react differently if you had a different coloured muzzle? I've seen some funky ones out there, such as purple and green. I certainly notice a difference in how people react to Casper and Kiki's baby pink and baby blue Dogmatics, versus the reactions I used to get with my previous GSD's black Halti (part of the reason I went for the funky coloured Dogmatics)
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-09-2010, 01:38 PM
Not everyone keeps their dogs away from a muzzled one unfortunately, being muzzled actually made Rupe a target for all the idiots with their "macho" dogs which is why I don't muzzle him unless he's off leash or at the vets. He's fear aggressive towards other dogs on leash as it is, the last thing we need is people purposely setting their dogs on him.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >