View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

20-11-2009, 07:54 AM
I haven't watched the video I can't it makes me feel sick just thinking about it.

I hope they catch him and throw the book at him doubtful I think though.

I am so pleased to hear the dog and owner are now on the way to recovery and the poor lab is still able to work.

I was waiting for my son at the station the other week and saw a blind man with his guide dog and it was an amazing site too watch.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2009, 08:18 AM
Originally Posted by fluffybland View Post
Yes, I think i took the original comment the wrong way!

I only saw the clip on London Tonight, i haven't seen the whole attack. To be honest I was upset enough when I was told about it weeks ago, especially knowing the dog, as she is a real sweetheart. My friend who puppywalked her is away at the moment, i hope she doesnt watch the attack as I am sure she will be devastated to see it for real.

its the most horrific thing to watch, I dont know the dog or person involved yet the whole thing made me feel sick, I would think someone who knows the dog would be so so upset, its maybe a good idea your freind doesnt watch it. Im so pleased the dog and owner are ok, it just goes to show the stength of character that dog has. Well done to all involved in making her that way.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2009, 09:25 AM
That really sent a shiver down my spine, that poor dog. I am very glad to hear that the dog is back to work though. Thankfully Labs are such tough cookies.

As for the man, I have no words really. I think given the quality of the video it is highly likely that someone does recognize him and he gets what is coming to him.
fluffybland
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-11-2009, 06:06 PM
Guide Dogs has issued the following statement after police released CCTV footage of a blind woman's guide dog being savaged by a terrier-type dog at a railway station.

Statement from Guide Dogs:

The independence of a visually impaired lady from North West London was put in jeopardy following a vicious attack on her guide dog by a terrier type-dog.

This was a traumatic experience for the guide dog owner. Happily her guide dog has made a full recovery. However, there have been tragic cases in the past when guide dogs have suffered psychologically - impairing their ability to continue safely guiding their owners.

Guide dogs are bred and selected for their gentle characteristics. Their calm temperament is what makes them good guide dogs. Their owners rely on these calm, loyal animals to provide independence; it is therefore an extremely distressing experience if their dog is attacked.

We join the police in appealing for the owner of the aggressive dog to come forward, preventing the animal attacking another dog in the future.

Guide Dogs would also like to make an appeal on to all pet dog owners. If you think there is any chance that your dog will be aggressive towards other dogs, or humans, please keep it on a lead, and muzzled if necessary.

Guidance for journalist:

Dangerous dog Act (DDA) 1991

Section 3 applies to all dogs, making it a criminal offence to allow a dog to be dangerously out of control in a public place.

Guide Dogs, press office:
Tel: 0118 983 8281 or 07768 523996
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2009, 06:48 PM
that brought back horrible memories for me as dylan was attacked twice by my neighbours staff tommy. i must admit though that when i saw the mans reaction, kicking and hitting the dog, that looked to me like he was desperately trying to get the dog off.

anyone with a terrier knows not to pull it away when it is biting. that man did not look like someone who was experienced in any type of dog fight to me.

i do know the total helplessness you feel when being part of a dog attack like that. i punched and hit tommy to try and get him off my dog and his owner was doing the same.

i am in no way condoning the man for having a dog aggressive dog off the lead (he'd dropped the lead so it was as good as) and unmuzzled. but i feel sad that most people jump to the conclusion that the man was nothing more than a thug. he could well have run away as he would have known his dog would be destroyed following such an attack. it doesn't make it right or better but no one knows the full story here.

we all like to think we'd know what to do in such an event but i was shocked at how utterly useless i felt and also at how i could hit an animal. it's a deeply distressing situation.

i know i've played devils advocate here so please don't shoot me down in flames. i will never forget thinking that i was watching my dog being killed infront of my eyes but i will also never forget a very sweet staffy who was so badly let down by the most unassuming of people.

ultimately i am just so happy to hear that the guide dog is recovered and back at work.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2009, 07:21 PM
Originally Posted by lilypup View Post
that brought back horrible memories for me as dylan was attacked twice by my neighbours staff tommy. i must admit though that when i saw the mans reaction, kicking and hitting the dog, that looked to me like he was desperately trying to get the dog off.

anyone with a terrier knows not to pull it away when it is biting. that man did not look like someone who was experienced in any type of dog fight to me.

i do know the total helplessness you feel when being part of a dog attack like that. i punched and hit tommy to try and get him off my dog and his owner was doing the same.

i am in no way condoning the man for having a dog aggressive dog off the lead (he'd dropped the lead so it was as good as) and unmuzzled. but i feel sad that most people jump to the conclusion that the man was nothing more than a thug. he could well have run away as he would have known his dog would be destroyed following such an attack. it doesn't make it right or better but no one knows the full story here.

we all like to think we'd know what to do in such an event but i was shocked at how utterly useless i felt and also at how i could hit an animal. it's a deeply distressing situation.

i know i've played devils advocate here so please don't shoot me down in flames. i will never forget thinking that i was watching my dog being killed infront of my eyes but i will also never forget a very sweet staffy who was so badly let down by the most unassuming of people.

ultimately i am just so happy to hear that the guide dog is recovered and back at work.
just wanted to say that I agree with you, good post.

I have unfortunately been in a situation where have had to split mine and another dog up ( my dog had been on lead and was attacked but got the upper hand) Nobody helped me, and it was awful at the time, but you just react you dont really think about it.

FWIW it doesnt look like a pitbull to me more like a boxer cross or american bulldog mix.
regardless of the breed its an awful thing, and I dont think there was intent on the mans part as he made a grab for his dog as soon as he saw the guide dog. I just think it was a really unfortunate incident, however do think the man should have stuck around and thats where I have judged him.... as even if my dog had done that I would have tied it up and gone to the other persons aid.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2009, 09:54 PM
Originally Posted by lilypup View Post
i dont think its right to judge people in certain circumstances, but the fact he left the poor dog and owner there is where i judge him. yes, he shouldnt have put the dogs lead down, and the dog should have been muzzled. but i do believe accidents happen, and sometimes we dont think about things that could arise. maybe he could never of thought his dog would go as far as he did. and i dont think he is a thug for that (i also dont think it was staged) but i think he is horrible, and the lowest of the low for leaving them. i dont know how i would react in that situation but, i know i would never leave a dog and owner, any owner especially not a blind owner, alone. so, i do judge him for that. maybe i am wrong to, especially until we hear the full story. but i was so sickened when i heard that.

your post was good though lol
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2009, 10:23 PM
Originally Posted by Brundog View Post
just wanted to say that I agree with you, good post.

I have unfortunately been in a situation where have had to split mine and another dog up ( my dog had been on lead and was attacked but got the upper hand) Nobody helped me, and it was awful at the time, but you just react you dont really think about it.

FWIW it doesnt look like a pitbull to me more like a boxer cross or american bulldog mix.
regardless of the breed its an awful thing, and I dont think there was intent on the mans part as he made a grab for his dog as soon as he saw the guide dog. I just think it was a really unfortunate incident, however do think the man should have stuck around and thats where I have judged him.... as even if my dog had done that I would have tied it up and gone to the other persons aid.
I agree with Dani and Lily pup, it looked like a total accident to me. The man was clearly in the wrong but he did try and get the dog off and he was probably shaken up himself, paniced and scared, knowing what his dog did was so bad and not wanting his dog PTS and did the cowardly thing of walking away once he'd gotten his dog back under control. The lab came away with some puncture wounds, which is getting off very lightly in a serious fight, she was lucky, it could have been a lot worse, I think the owner of the other dog actually saved her from it being a lot worse.

I am in no way condoning this but I think it was an accident blown right up out of proportion and the pit bull thrown in for good measure, which just INFURIATES me. The man should NEVER have dropped his dog's lead, especially as he clearly KNEW he was dog aggressive, but you can see by his reaction of making a grab for the dog when it bolted, it's not a man who didn't give a sh!t.

Sorry guys but accidents happen, yes it could have been avoided but we are only human.

So shoot me now.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2009, 10:33 PM
Originally Posted by random View Post
I agree with Dani and Lily pup, it looked like a total accident to me. The man was clearly in the wrong but he did try and get the dog off and he was probably shaken up himself, paniced and scared, knowing what his dog did was so bad and not wanting his dog PTS and did the cowardly thing of walking away once he'd gotten his dog back under control. The lab came away with some puncture wounds, which is getting off very lightly in a serious fight, she was lucky, it could have been a lot worse, I think the owner of the other dog actually saved her from it being a lot worse.

I am in no way condoning this but I think it was an accident blown right up out of proportion and the pit bull thrown in for good measure, which just INFURIATES me. The man should NEVER have dropped his dog's lead, especially as he clearly KNEW he was dog aggressive, but you can see by his reaction of making a grab for the dog when it bolted, it's not a man who didn't give a sh!t.

Sorry guys but accidents happen, yes it could have been avoided but we are only human.

So shoot me now.
i agree accidents happen, but it does not excuse leaving them. i think it was good how much he tried to get the dog off, and maybe that did save her life but leaving her could have killed her. she is one very lucky dog!
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2009, 10:36 PM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
i dont think its right to judge people in certain circumstances, but the fact he left the poor dog and owner there is where i judge him. yes, he shouldnt have put the dogs lead down, and the dog should have been muzzled. but i do believe accidents happen, and sometimes we dont think about things that could arise. maybe he could never of thought his dog would go as far as he did. and i dont think he is a thug for that (i also dont think it was staged) but i think he is horrible, and the lowest of the low for leaving them. i dont know how i would react in that situation but, i know i would never leave a dog and owner, any owner especially not a blind owner, alone. so, i do judge him for that. maybe i am wrong to, especially until we hear the full story. but i was so sickened when i heard that.

your post was good though lol
At the end of the vid the lab looks to be running back in the direction of the dog that attacked her, perhaps looking for her owner, but maybe the man didn't realise she was hurt.

When our Sadie was a young 'un she was attacked and it looked just as bad but she seemed to come off unscathed, gave her a quick once over and she seemed fine, carried on with the walk home, absolutely fine and happy, when we got home we gave her a thorough check over and found several puncture wounds on her neck under her thick coat, we hadn't seen them the first time, one needed stitching and the rest were ok.

Perhaps he was afraid his dog would be PTS, saw the lab was up and running about fine, maybe he saw her go back to her owner? Maybe he saw her owner pick up her harness? We don't know do we? From what I can gather, her owner wasn't totally blind, so maybe he didn't realise she has such low vision? I know it sounds obvious and i'm not sticking up for him as such, I know that most of us would have stopped and made sure everything was ok but we should just have a wee think before we do judge anyone.

No I do agree, he shouldn't have left them at all, but we dont know why he did do we? Maybe i'm getting too soft in my old age (nearly 25).
Page 5 of 22 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 15 > Last »