Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Johnclick
Dogsey Junior
Male 

09-12-2011, 06:53 PM

Iditerod

Seems like too many healthy dogs don't finish the race. Although the mushers love their dogs and give them great food and good care, they push them too hard when trying to win. The race is far, far TOO LONG. The Iditerod originated from a RELAY where the same dogs didn't cover the total distance to Nome.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2011, 07:07 PM
How many dogs enter?

What vet checks are in place before, during and after the race?

What is the percentage of dogs which finish and what is the percentage that do not?
Johnclick
Dogsey Junior
Male 

09-12-2011, 07:10 PM
I don't have the data, but I saw where the 2010 winner had several dogs that didn't finish.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2011, 07:14 PM
finish or dead? u always have extra dogs on a dog team,incase of injury etc... they are checked at checkpoints etc...its come a long way through the years,its like any 'sport' u have the good mushers and the bad(driven to win no matter what)

i cant but help like the iditarod

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iditaro..._Sled_Dog_Race
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

Lots of human athletes do not finish marathons either.........
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
finish or dead? u always have extra dogs on a dog team,incase of injury etc... they are checked at checkpoints etc...its come a long way through the years,its like any 'sport' u have the good mushers and the bad(driven to win no matter what)

i cant but help like the iditarod
My thoughts exactly.
Johnclick
Dogsey Junior
Male 

10-12-2011, 04:11 AM
I also love the Iditerod. Had a Siberian Huskie once which absolutely captivated my young daughter with his stunning blue eyes. I know Iditerod dogs are not Siberian Huskies, but I'm beginning to look at everything from the dog's point of view. Exactly what is the breed of dog that pulls the sled during the race?
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-12-2011, 07:58 AM
Many mushers use crossbreeds. They call them Alaskan Huskies. I read a great book about a couple who completed the Iditarod with sibes. It''s called Running North. I'd recommend it especially for people who have an interest in sleddies.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-12-2011, 12:35 PM
Originally Posted by Johnclick View Post
I also love the Iditerod. Had a Siberian Huskie once which absolutely captivated my young daughter with his stunning blue eyes. I know Iditerod dogs are not Siberian Huskies, but I'm beginning to look at everything from the dog's point of view. Exactly what is the breed of dog that pulls the sled during the race?
........ meaning?
Johnclick
Dogsey Junior
Male 

10-12-2011, 05:24 PM
One of my first childhood books was about Balto, who anchored the relay that carried the diphtheria serum from Nenana to Nome in 1925. I was thrilled by the story and have been interested in sled dogs ever since. It's gratifying that a dog received so much attention from the media and that his statue stands in Central Park. (I read that Balto himself was taken to New York for the unveiling.) It's not surprising that the Iditerod is so popular today.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >