Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
sarah j
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-11-2008, 10:02 AM

getting the adult fur

Could anyone put me straight. My beardie pup is now five months old and I was talking to a lady who stopped to fuss Milly, and she told me that beardies start getting their "fluffy" fur at about three months. This was several weeks ago, now I know I sound a bit daft, and I know Milly is a beardie, I did see her Mum and Dad, but I was talking to someeone else last night a nd I was told that the fluffy fur could take 18 months to start growing. Who is right?
Sarah
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-11-2008, 10:08 AM
Without knowing much about the breed, I'd think 18 months sounds reasonable as to the adult coat being more or less there, but apparently it can take 3 years for the colour to settle, lol, bet I've confused you more xx
sarah j
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-11-2008, 10:28 AM
Thanks for getting back Inkleeva, I thin k its just best to wait and see what happens. Just another thing though can anyone give any advice on what shampoo to use? Its just that mum and dad are outdoor, working dogs and will this have anyeffect on what sort of coat Milly gets eventually, and what product are the best to keep the coat in good condition?
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-11-2008, 11:09 AM
Beardies shouldn't have "fluffy"fur as an adult & TBH they should never have fluffy fur period. Some have softer(incorrect coats)but these are usually show bred dogs from certain lines.

I had a Tambora boy who had an enormous puppy coat, but when he had his first cast he grew a lovely straight harsh brown coat & even his puppy coat was harsh.

Is your puppy KC registered or is she from Working beardies registered with the Working Bearded Collie Association ?

The best way to keep her coat in good order is a daily brush & a weekly full groom ot. She should only need bathing if she is really dirty & I used to use the shampoo that was originally called Jeannie Dog Shampoo or JDS made by Vetzeme-Jeannie was the first Bearded Collie registered with the KC after the war & is behind all show beardies