View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2008, 09:49 AM
Mine have thier first couple then no more. It is the way my mother did it and as my first dog was SO bad with the vet as she got older I didn't want to put her (or the vet!) through that stress.

The pattern has stuck and so far (within the dogs I am surrounded by - 15 at the moment!) everthing has been fine and they have all lived very into a very healthy old age.
Kicks
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2008, 09:49 AM
Sorry Fernsmum my above post must read differently to how I meant it, I was just pointing out that Shona hadnt said every type of autoimmune disease was due to vaccines.

I also didnt mean you when I said about people not accepting others opinions but reading through the thread on previous pages people who choose not to vaccinate yearly seem to be getting a bit of stick.

friends? x
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2008, 09:53 AM
Yes of course , I like it that everyone has a different point of view that's what makes this forum so addictive and why I get no work done ! x
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2008, 09:54 AM
I hope I didn`t come over like I was attacking anyone I think this is a complicated subject where everyone is trying to do the best they can for their dog based on incomplete data.
Until the whole process is altered, maybe routinely using titre tests to determine what the state of the defences are, and taking a holistic view of the dogs health before we vaccinate (Which would probably be too expensive for most of us) we are just making a judgement call based on conflicting information.
Being by nature suspicious of the views of corporate bodies like drugs companies and vet schools, I lean towards scepticism.
scarter
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-09-2008, 09:56 AM
Ours had her jags as a baby, and we would probably of just got all of her boosters done without thinking about it.

However, we've had some problems with allergies and without going into a lot of boring detail there's good reason to think that these allergies are due to her having too many doeses of antibiotics as a pup. There is a possibility that this has compromised her immune system so the thought of her getting a booster right now isn't appealing.

Our pups breeder mentioned that she has NEVER had boosters for her dogs. We looked into this and read that in many cases vaccination lasts for life, or at least a few years (And lets face it, humans don't go every year for boosters).

We aren't prepared to just not get the boosters but we're planning to have her immunity tested each year and only give her the boosters if and when she needs them. It'll probably cost more but we think it's worth it.
spot
Dogsey Veteran

30-09-2008, 10:00 AM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
yes and I have had to watch a dog go through hell with autoimmune disorders / in this case it was
Immune-mediated thrombocytopenia mixed with other complications and nasal cancer.. the poor dog spent months in the dick hospital.... She lived.. but only on high medication..direct result of injections..she is never to have another one,...so please dont lecture me on injections
I think this just proves that there are pros and cons to both sides and that people should maybe do some research on the subject – I certainly do not see a lecture or an attack just someone putting over their experiences .
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2008, 10:08 AM
As with everything else in life everyone just does what they consider to be the right thing for them and their dog .
Nobody is right or wrong in this case it's just people doing their best based on experience , knowledge and opinion
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2008, 11:39 AM
Normally I've had my dogs done annuallyfor 3 or 4 years then stopped as I felt they'd buily up a natural imunity. I normally don't vaccinate at all after 9 but I had Dax done when I had him at 11 as he'd moved area & so was I felt not used to the same bugs. When I took Hannah for her boosters not long after I had her my vet said she was over vaccinated & only gave her the lepto & one other, she said she won't need another full booster for another 3 years.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2008, 12:01 PM
sorry if I came over nasty.. but having watched a friend going through hell with her IWH, due to vac's well you can imagine.. the problem is.. you never know if your dog will have a bad reaction.. untill its too late.. some reactions re mild.. but some are life threatening...

I will stick to what works for me....

I sometimes feel??? show dogs have a greater immunity poss as they are exposed to more dogs.. from all over the country.. uk/ire.. and now abroad.. any one have any thoughts on this??
lisa0307
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-09-2008, 01:37 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
Oh and looking at my insurance form - I am only not insured if he gets something I should have vaccinated for - I am still insured for everything else
Pet Plan are the same
We have only given our dog puppy vaccinations and won't be giving any boosters....we don't give routine flea or worm treatments unless it's needed and up to now it hasn't been.
We gave our previous dog yearly boosters and routine flea and worm treatments and he suffered from many things throughout his life..Collitis, itchy skin, bald patches, anal gland problems etc etc...he was always at the vets for something...he eventually died from a massive brain tumour
It's a decision each individual must make for themselves and feel content with what they decide is best for their dogs.
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >