Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-09-2008, 09:26 PM
Originally Posted by henry06 View Post
Its like the parents who didnt give the mmr to children now we could face an epidemic as not enough children have been vaccinated could this be the case with dogs as well?
I think most people are saying they do have their dogs vaccinated. It`s the boosters that are problematic for a lot of people. Even before I started reading up on it I was always suspicious about why a dog`s vaccinations only lasted a year and my kids were done once which lasted all their life. If the vaccine produces antibodies then how come they disappear after a year?
henry06
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-09-2008, 09:59 PM
I don't know. You do have some vaccines more than once like tetanus but im not a doctor or a vet so I suppose i am nieve and just go along with some things and should look into them more. I am going to the vets this week with Henry for a check up so if i remember i will ask him why dogs have boosters. We did have a booster letter and did take Henry for his but i didn't question it maybe I should have now.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-09-2008, 10:11 PM
Ben had is puppy jabs but that is it for now
Had a chat with my vet and although she wanted me to get him done she did say it would only be lepto she would be doing
they only boost the rest now every 3 years and she admits that vets know that they last for at least 5 years if not the life of the dog
I will prob get titers done at about 4 or 5 years and see

she also said that the Lepto jab (which is the one people see the worst problems with) only lasts for approx 3 months

So weighing everything up I didnt even see it as a risk - the vet is sure he is fine for everything else and lepto he wouldnt be imune for most of the year anyway

- length of immunity depends on the type of vaccine
I am not an expert here (read a lot) but (and I think I have it the right way here - correct me if I am wrong)
a live vaccine boost the bodys immunity but is destroyed in a short time and then the immunity is no higher that it was before
A modified vacine is like what we give our kids - a one shot that produces an immune response that the body remembers - so you are pretty much immune for life

I know there are risks either way - I can live with myself more with this choise

- Oh and looking at my insurance form - I am only not insured if he gets something I should have vaccinated for - I am still insured for everything else
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2008, 12:26 AM
Originally Posted by henry06 View Post
I don't know. You do have some vaccines more than once like tetanus but im not a doctor or a vet so I suppose i am nieve and just go along with some things and should look into them more. I am going to the vets this week with Henry for a check up so if i remember i will ask him why dogs have boosters. We did have a booster letter and did take Henry for his but i didn't question it maybe I should have now.
That's fine, if you are happy but not all are 'naive and just go along with some things and should look into them more'. I want my dog protected from serious problems but I will not over-burden his body with unnecessary vaccinations, like-wise myself or my child.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2008, 12:31 AM
For info:

http://www.britfeld.com/vaccine-uk-vets.htm
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2008, 09:27 AM
Originally Posted by catrinsparkles View Post
I always have done, and most definately will make sure i always check that i am up to date with them after having to watch what my parent's Dewi went through...knowing that it would have been avoidable if only he had not missed his jab. It was heart breaking to know that my parents mistake was the cause. My mum couldn't bare to think about the cause of it because she knew she was responsible....thank god it he survived!

yes and I have had to watch a dog go through hell with autoimmune disorders / in this case it was
Immune-mediated thrombocytopenia mixed with other complications and nasal cancer.. the poor dog spent months in the dick hospital.... She lived.. but only on high medication..direct result of injections..she is never to have another one,...so please dont lecture me on injections
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2008, 09:29 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
I think most people are saying they do have their dogs vaccinated. It`s the boosters that are problematic for a lot of people. Even before I started reading up on it I was always suspicious about why a dog`s vaccinations only lasted a year and my kids were done once which lasted all their life. If the vaccine produces antibodies then how come they disappear after a year?
well said.. Im lucky to have a younger vet who also feels dogs are over vaccinated.. he offers half booster type cover to those who want it...
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2008, 09:32 AM
If dogs auto immune conditions are caused by vaccines how come humans who are vaccinated much less get auto immune conditions ?

I too have watched my dog suffer with an auto immune condition , she died age 2 . I don't blame vaccines .

I'm not trying to lecture anyone on anything , just putting forward a different point of view .
Kicks
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2008, 09:40 AM
Shona didnt say that every type of autoimmune disease was caused by vaccines, but in the case she was talking about it was. As i've already stated 3 vets have agreed another vaccine would kill Felix! So what should i do? risk having him vaccinated just incase? errr no! Its a personal choice but please dont anyone attack people who's opinion differs to your own!
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2008, 09:45 AM
As I already stated I was not lecturing anyone and certainly not attacking them . Unlike some people I accept that other people are entitled to a different point of view .
I thought the whole purpose of a forum was for people to discuss things but maybe it's not .
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >