View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

29-09-2008, 04:34 PM
All of mine are done and up to date. In fact Syd had his this afternoon.
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-09-2008, 04:35 PM
Mine are, but I dont do it every 12 months more like every 18 months, I also worry about auto immune and I'm not convinced that they need to be done annually. My friend uses the homeopathy method and has so far had no problems.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-09-2008, 04:35 PM
Originally Posted by dori-katie View Post
Ours were done when we got them at 8 weeks and then a year later.
But haven't had a card from the vets saying about any more.
I would ring the vets and check then. This is how Dewi slipped through the net, they moved so changed vets and were out of the loop of reminders.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-09-2008, 04:57 PM
Many vaccines now provide immunity for more than three years for the main diseases so a yearly booster is unnecessary if this is the case. Lepto and parainfluenza are not covered though, although I believe the Lepto vaccination does not cover all strains and doesn't last the whole year.
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-09-2008, 05:03 PM
As I said before mine get boosters every year but they don't get all things every year . My vet has a regime he does and I leave it up to him .
Kicks
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-09-2008, 06:06 PM
Our pups always get the puppy boosters and the first year booster, thats it!

We've had titre tests done a couple of times and the levels are always plenty above needed.

I have had/have two dogs that have severe reactions to vaccines and also have a friend who lost a dog due to the reaction from the vaccine. Before anyone questions yes it was definately a result of the vaccine!!!

I'm not going to go into Ziggie as to be honest its painful talking about him still, but Felix had a bad reaction to his puppy vaccines, sickness, diarroeah and swelling around the puncture site. This was not for 24 hours but for over a week. On his first year vaccine in the time it took us to walk from the vets to the park (about twenty minutes) I had a very ill dog, his whole kneck and face had swollen and the skin on his muzzle split, he was vomitting and struggling to get it out of his mouth due to the swelling. He ended up on a drip and on steroids and his muzzle is still badly scarred (sp). I don't have him titre tested, three different vets have told me another vaccine is likely to kill him.

Indy had her first year booster but I doubt she'll have or ever need another. Harry will have his first year booster when the time comes, then will be tested with Indy probably when she's 5 and him 4.

I believe worming is much more important and they're all wormed regularly.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-09-2008, 06:55 PM
I titre test yearly to see if mine need it or not. Milo has never needed a booster since his puppy vacs as his levels have always been extremely high. I cannot vaccinate him anymore anyway even if his levels drop as he is allergic to almost everything and I won't risk him having a fatal reaction (whivh he is high risk of) or developing Auto immune disease like my last two dogs did.
Shady has only needed one booster since her puppy vacs which was last year. She is due to be titre tested again next month.
cally
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-09-2008, 07:10 PM
I've always had my dogs vaccinated,even
yearly,as now I'm a member of a dog club,if
I don't produce the certificate they will not allow
me to remain a member,and also I think that goes for
certain shows as well,but also I think the risk is far too
great,it's like humans some can have a reaction,but
the majority are fine.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-09-2008, 08:57 PM
All mine are vaccinated (the usual plus Rabies), but I don`t have the boosters done. In the past I`ve used homeopathic nosodes when dogs clubs needed proof of boosters now, but their clubs now are happy with the initial vaccine cert.
TBH I`ve read so much bad stuff about the boosters I wouldn`t be happy having them done.
henry06
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-09-2008, 09:06 PM
I very much trust my vet and Henry is fully vaccinated. Its like the parents who didnt give the mmr to children now we could face an epidemic as not enough children have been vaccinated could this be the case with dogs as well?
I dont think the vaccination would have been made if it wasnt nessasary and again i do trust my vet and he does what is best for the dogs so i just trust him to advise me he is the expert in the field
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >