View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
shiba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2007, 04:08 PM

Teeth - over shot bottom teeth - would u show?

Well, bit peeved really, been keeping a close eye on jessie's teeth, and what i was dreading has happened. She's 7 months nearly and her bottom teeth are infront of her top.

What would you do, would you still enter for shows or not. I have been told by several her movement, colour of her eyes and overall shape is very good for showing so she has a lot going for her but i just wondered what others do when this happens.

I have been told that although newfie's take years to mature the chances are her teeth will stay they way they are at the moment. Our first champ show is booked for end of april.

Anyway she's still my little (or big) stunner!!
Sara1210
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2007, 04:14 PM
I dont show, BUT if i did i would take her to the show at the end of this month and see how she gets on

Is there any chance of her teeth sorting themselves out with maturity?
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2007, 04:18 PM
I personally wouldn't. I'd wait to see if this problem resolved itself. If not then I'd have her spayed and start again.
I'm dreading this with Cooper!
Becky
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2007, 04:27 PM
I am almost certain this is called undershot? and from what I have heard if the jaw is undershot chances are it wont rectify with maturity if its overshot ie top teeth infront of bottom teeth, this "may" change I dont know if this is fact or not.

Mo
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2007, 04:27 PM
Teeth are always a difficult one to decide on when showing/judging. No-one but the judge gets to see the teeth so an otherwise sound and good looking dog can easily get put to the back of the line purely because it has a bad mouth. If I were judging I would penalise the dog for the bad mouth but would not place it lower than a dog that had dodgy movement or was not true to type but that had a correct bite.

One of my English Setters, Tyler, had an excellent puppy career, then when he reached Junior his mouth went level, I had decided to retire him from showing anyway as he was just not carrying enough weight. I know that a level bite is acceptable in our breed but it is still something that judges frown upon. Anyway, although I didn't continue to show him for a different reason, by the time he was 2 years old his mouth was correct again.

If Jessies mouth had been correct at some point then there is a possibility that they will return to normal, however the lower jaw, once over the top, doesn't really allow the top teeth to get back behind so you may find that they won't correct.

Hand on heart, if she were mine and the only dog I had for showing then I would show her but only at open or companions show level, I wouldn't waste my time or money at championship shows but as you've already paid for this forthcoming one you may as well go along anyway.

I sincerely hope things work out, Bradley is in his first show in a couple of weeks and is being shown as a neutered dog, I've never had a show dog neutered, especially at such a young age so I'm not expecting anything, although I think he is a stunning example of the breed, not every judge has the bottle to put up a neutered dog higher than an entire one, we'll just have to wait and see.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Sheree x
shiba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2007, 04:46 PM
thanks everyone for your views. I have just spoken to the breeder and he says not to be too dispondent yet as it could still correct itself.

I have been told by a friend that she would still show as she has a lot going for her. Some judges will not place and some will look at the overall and may still place her. So i think i will give a couple of shows a go and see how we get on. At the moment her teeth are almost level, but the bottom are just infront of the top.

A month ago it was all good and they looked perfect, so hopefully and fingers crossed it may just sort itself out.

My friend also has just told me that she new of a friends dog that had awful teeth but it still made it to a champion, also another dog who had the most awful yellow eyes but that did very good overall so, its got to be worth a try.

Its just such a shame really, as my house and funds couldn't take on another dog to start showing so it would just mean that we couldn't do the showing side of things.

Scorpio i hope you do well with bradley - let us know please!!

Anyway thanks for your advice, all views welcome!!
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2007, 04:54 PM
its a hard one if your set on showing ....a dog with an OFF mouth will laways get beaten by a dog with a perfect bite ( sorry if that sounds horrid )

7 months is pushing it to correct

its hard when you have a good dog with one fault i know as cara is a good example of the breed but shows a little white in one eye ...not a huge problem but will always get beaten by a dog that dosen't show it ..and like her 7 months we are still hoping BUT not getting too excited
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2007, 05:13 PM
It sounds as though she's undershot to me.
Sorry to say i have never heard of an undershot Jaw/teeth correcting itself.

Give showing ago though and see how you do,you may be suprised.
shiba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2007, 05:14 PM
Originally Posted by Inca View Post
its a hard one if your set on showing ....a dog with an OFF mouth will laways get beaten by a dog with a perfect bite ( sorry if that sounds horrid )

7 months is pushing it to correct

its hard when you have a good dog with one fault i know as cara is a good example of the breed but shows a little white in one eye ...not a huge problem but will always get beaten by a dog that dosen't show it ..and like her 7 months we are still hoping BUT not getting too excited

It's fine - it doesn't sound horrid

Just wondered though, if the dog with the perfect mouth has not so good movement as jess say, or a lighter eye (which is a fault in newf's) would that then make the dogs on an even level. Or is it that if the teeth arn't right thats a bigger fault than others - just curious how it works really.
pod
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2007, 05:32 PM
I've known of slight undershoots correcting but in my experience that's more likely to happen in the 'normal' head shape, eg my Lapphunds. Less likely to correct in Mastiff types.

However, I wouldn't give up on the showing. I've known of undershot ticket winners. It all depends on the judge.... and the rest of the entry!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >