Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
sdadswell
New Member!
Female 

04-05-2016, 11:13 PM

Intussusception / R&A

Hello everybody. Just wanting to share my pups story, see if anyone has gone through similar health issues and has some advice or anything. Would be greatly appreciated.

Have a German Shepherd pup, took her to get spayed. Day after surgery she was vomiting quite a bit, so took her in to get checked out and they ended up having to do exploratory surgery. Come to find out during the spay her intestines had got caught in the omentum. They removed the kink and thought it was caught in time, unfortunately that was not the case. Within a couple of days of having her, they had to reopen her and ended up removing 18 inches of her small intestines. At the time of the surgery, they said it was a pretty common surgery and dogs usually had a good recovery percentage. We made it past the first five days, which the vet said was crucial. Three weeks out and we were doing awesome and we all had high hopes. Ran into a snag in the fourth week with severe diarrhea and some vomiting. Vets have run some test, came up negative twice for parasites. Also ran blood work and everything came back ok. Temporarily being treated for imbalance of bacteria while we wait for more test results from the Gastrointestinal lab. Also was put on Probiotics and Digestive Care food.

Sorry for the novel. But anyways, has anyones dog had an intussusception resulting in removal of part of the intestines? What was your experiencing with it? Is it possible for the dog to continue living a happy quality life afterwards? My vet said she should go about being a happy normal dog once we're on track, just with the help of possible long term medicine and diet.

As I said, any input on this matter is greatly appreciated. Just want as much knowledge from others experience as I can. So I can kinda get a feel for maybe what is in store for her down the line.

brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2016, 06:56 AM
Not sure but was the vet at fault here? Such a shame. Hope she gets better and doesn't have any long term problems.
sdadswell
New Member!
Female 

05-05-2016, 09:20 AM
They won't admit fault, just said its a complication from surgery. Said it's a very common health issues with GSDs. It's been frustrating, that's for sure. Just want the pup to be OK.