Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Manttle Geminy
New Member!
Male 

26-02-2016, 02:37 AM

Love homemade dog foods?

Recently I am reading a book Dr. Pitcairn's Complete Guide to Natural Health for Dogs & Cats, and this book seems great with lots of informations about dog food. But after trying one recipe I found rolled oats and brown rice are obvious in my dog's poop. Though I know that grains are not well digested by dogs but lots of people around feed their dogs rice everyday, their dogs are healthy. I don't know why and how to make my choice, should I follow another recipe or change a book? Or just buy commercial dog food?Could you help please.....
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-02-2016, 08:33 AM
Whenever mine have had brown rice it has always reappeared undigested at the other end, so I'd give wholegrain rice a miss tbh.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

26-02-2016, 09:45 AM
You don't need to give a dog rice, its not got any nutritional value, they make their own carbs from animal fats so no need to add any sort of grains whatsoever. I don't feed commercial as its full of additives and cheap fillers and my dogs do well on raw with grated steamed veg added.
pomskyowners
New Member!
Female 

01-04-2016, 03:03 PM
I learned a lot in Pomsky Owners Association that cooking food for your dog will bring them closer to you.
banksy217
New Member!
Male 

06-04-2016, 01:13 AM
My wife likes to make our dogs a special chili from time to time using chicken breasts, kidney beans or black beans--depending what we got in the house, carrots, some tomato paste and chicken broth. They love it! But our dogs do well normally with a 50-25-25 ratio of protein grains and veggies... they love cabbage stubs and carrots the most