Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-06-2014, 11:49 PM

Truth is Stranger Than Fiction

Among my hundreds of other concrete things to worry about. Including guilt at how many birds my cats take out. So to atone for the cats several times a week there are bird seed bags at work that are unsellable. I feed the birds for miles around in the vacant lot next to the store.

But today takes the cake...driving home through a mini mall and a group of young men gathered around something in the road. I couldn't tell what it was so I swung back around. A dog or cat in a blanket? No It was a tortoise, a snapping tortoise, about 2 feet long.

The kids left, animal control hadn't arrived. Okay so I look at this miserable creature. If I leave you here you will get squashed by traffic. Here we go, I'm sending you back to the river bank you came from, maybe twenty feet away.

First rule I've learned in moving reptiles. Use a shovel or net. Fortunately I had a large piece of plywood. It was scary...but I could talk to it and say my dogs are a hell of a lot bigger than you'll ever be. You're going back to the river! Success, he slunk down the river bank and I ran it the closest store to sterilize my hands.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-06-2014, 06:55 AM
Reptiles, creepies, slitheries - they are not for me. But well done in rescuing this one - you are far braver than I!
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2014, 09:36 AM
Aww,good for you for helping.I have a tortoise,no where near that size though Poor wee guy was probably just scared...great to hear he's safe xx
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2014, 11:36 AM
well done!

i lived years on a small island where the fishermen hated seals and there were atrocities.

was out very early one morning to post letters and on the road leading to the pier and fish farm there was a young seal.,

knew if it was still there when the men came to work it would be beaten to death.

seals are born with savage teeth and they are wild. this one did not understand what i was trying to do and kept going landwrds rather than across to the sea. i had a wooden box between me and him.

finally i got behind him, in the ditch and then drove him, snapping and snarling to the beach
lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-06-2014, 05:51 PM
Yow, I can picture the seal rescue, same idea exactly...you're looking at this thing and wondering if you're totally daft. But no you don't want to see the creature dead the next day.
I have to admit. The first time it snapped I dropped it, I'm short so it wasn't much of a fall. But the force...I can see losing a finger easy. Should have run in the hardware store and borrowed a shovel.
Then there was the strength of it's body. I dropped it just past the entrance to the riverbank. So here it is snapping and snapping the board while I'm trying to shove it's back end the right direction.
Ewwww turtle slime