Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Timber-
Almost a Veteran
Female 

14-05-2014, 02:02 PM
Originally Posted by Tang View Post
They do say cats choose their owners and not the other way round.

Can I just say one thing about this semi adoption of wild or stray cats.

However, when any of these ladies has a crisis or has to go away, they are desperately then calling for help from the public to go and feed these cats in their absence. And currently municipality has cleared away some of the home made shelters made for them and they are also desperate to find somewhere else 'safe' for them nearby.

As most of these cats will not easily allow you to pick them up and cart them off anywhere it is difficult to 'move them'.

All I'm saying is that if you make them 'dependent' on you for food and shelter, it's a good idea to have some sort of backup if for any reason you cannot continue doing so.
Thank you so much for the reply Tang. Since I have s many responsibilities at home with 6 dogs, I don't go away on holiday often, not even for a week-end. I have only been away twice while having pets and it was only for one night. I have no huge desire to leave home for more than an afternoon or evening anyways, I get homesick very easily. I know of someone who cares for a feral cat colony (they have them at their shop at the back). I can ask them if they know of anyone or I can talk with my neibours.

Originally Posted by Rosebud77 View Post

these two look like survivors and seek food and shelter and no more. and that i respect and would not restrict or confine them.

my family in canada do the same. some cats are hand tame, others are not and that is fine.
I am not planning on restricting them. I just want to make their current living arrangements more safe, like putting a roof on the run and a little cat house for when it gets really cold. They live in a dog run I don't use that is attached to the shed. I use the run to store junk.

Originally Posted by baranduin View Post
When I helped a farm with a high feral cat population we got help from the Feral Cat society who loaned traps and then paid for the spaying and neutering of the ones we caught. They were then released back as the farm did not mind feeding them. Any that were ill we had PTS. that included testing for Feline Aids.
I did find a society that does the same thing.

Thank you ALL so much for the help.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2