Kitkat_
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-04-2014, 01:51 PM
Originally Posted by jantet View Post
He looks like a Nigel to me.
No not a nigel, I want it to be female lol

Originally Posted by Tang View Post
Having been bitten by a particularly dangerous spider, these do not appeal to me.

However I don't like ,seeing any animals living their life in confinement, not even budgies, I feel a bit sorry for these arachnids living in glass boxes.
In the wild these spiders make a burrow and never leave it unless it is damaged, even then they will try to repair it rather than move. They all have burrows, even the ones I got this morning have gone into the holes I made them and started to web up, they are so happy in their burrows I am lucky to see them outside maybe one evening in a month if that. I try to replicate their seasons, whether that is cooling them down, flooding the substrate or keeping the tank dry. They have no threats from predators, I disturb them as little as possible, they have a constant varied food supply which I make sure is well fed before they go to the spiders. I can't see that they would want much more in life.

Personally I feel a bit sorry for working type dogs being stuck in houses for the majority of the day
DaisyD0g
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2014, 01:55 PM
Fascinating, how many do you have? and how big do they get?

I saw a tarantula once in the wild, we were at the Grand Canyon and it was just tootling along the pathway at dusk, scared the living c*ap outta me!!!

I don't know if I like them all not, prefer them to snakes for sure!!
Kitkat_
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-04-2014, 02:00 PM
Originally Posted by DaisyD0g View Post
Fascinating, how many do you have? and how big do they get?

I saw a tarantula once in the wild, we were at the Grand Canyon and it was just tootling along the pathway at dusk, scared the living c*ap outta me!!!

At the moment I have around 25, I used to have about 60 but I downsized my collection to concentrate on the species that I have a big interest in. They can get anywhere from around 2" leg span for a mature dwarf tarantula to the biggest at around 12" leg span

You probably saw a tarantula from the Aphonopelma genus
DaisyD0g
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2014, 02:19 PM
Originally Posted by Kitkat_ View Post
At the moment I have around 25, I used to have about 60 but I downsized my collection to concentrate on the species that I have a big interest in. They can get anywhere from around 2" leg span for a mature dwarf tarantula to the biggest at around 12" leg span

You probably saw a tarantula from the Aphonopelma genus
60 Well good for you, what an interesting collection you have and you give them a wonderful life!

I am not sure I will ever share you interest in them but I have total respect for you for putting so much care and attention into your collection!

I have no idea what it was I saw, it was big and hairy

Thanks for sharing!
buglysprince
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-04-2014, 03:18 PM
I don't mind tarantulas find them very interesting. I have touched one but never actually held one, not sure if I could.
I def could not keep them in my bedroom would be too worried they would escape whilst I was sleeping, I am a bit of a wimp really.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2014, 03:24 PM
I think their fab
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2014, 04:20 PM
I too feel sorry for any dog left alone for many hours daily. I often voice my opinion that people who work full time shouldn't get a dog. Also for dogs kept chained or cooped up in yards permanently. And I see many such here where I live. If you can't take a dog out our make arrangements for someone else to, again I don't think it's fair to get a dog. Some hunting dogs here are kept caged and only ever taken out in hunting season. As I said I don't like to see ANY animal caged.

But I fail to see any point in keeping an animal that stays hidden (as you say) in a burrow full time and you are lucky to see it at all? Why not leave them in their burrows where they choose to make them?

I am not comfy with any pets that are kept just for people to look and observe them. Especially if they've been captured from the wild and imported. But if there's not even much chance of them even being seen once in captivity, well I don't see the point.

No idea if your spiders are indigenous to the UK. I am speaking generally.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2014, 04:27 PM
QUOTE=DaisyD0g;2805753]Fascinating, how many do you have? and how big do they get?

I don't know if I like them all not, prefer them to snakes for sure!![/QUOTE]

You would be able to see tarantulas here DD! I've got a photo of one that my neice took just outside my last apartment! At least they are big enough to see clearly, not like the sneaky little beggar that got me - the brown recluse. They stay hidden too. Clue is in the name!
DaisyD0g
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2014, 05:08 PM
Originally Posted by Tang View Post
QUOTE=DaisyD0g;2805753]Fascinating, how many do you have? and how big do they get?

You would be able to see tarantulas here DD! I've got a photo of one that my neice took just outside my last apartment! At least they are big enough to see clearly, not like the sneaky little beggar that got me - the brown recluse. They stay hidden too. Clue is in the name![/QUOTE]

Yes we get the Brown Recluse over here too, Thankfully NOT very often in the PNW... I don't mind spiders as long as they keep their distance, now snakes - my neighbors can tell you how loud I scream when I spot one of those in my garden!!
y_not
Dogsey Junior
Male 

25-04-2014, 06:08 PM
Haha - love them! Thank you for sharing.

I still remember the knock at the door, a friends son wanted some help collecting crickets that he'd knocked over in the garage (live crickets = Tarantula food) but he didn't like handling the crickets!! Yes, he was fine with the spiders just didn't like the crickets! Kids!
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >