Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2010, 01:19 PM
Originally Posted by Collie Convert View Post
Ahh ok, sounds like you're doing all the right things...my friends that have springers all have to work really hard to keep their noses off the ground- but they all got there in the end

Just a note about the bit in bold- The reason I said about my youngsters drive was to highlight the fact even though i have one of the easiest breeds to train, known for their concentration- i still dont work him too long...though very tempting to do so!!
good luck with your lad
Lol - I do believe BC's and other collies are some of the easiest dogs to train - Sadie is exceptionally easy to train even with the JRT in her and I know they are hard to train (well some)

Thanks and good luck with yours
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2010, 02:52 PM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
We tried it with him and he hated the guns and his retrieval is good but his focus is atrocious when he's not doing controlled training with me.

I was going to wait til he was a year old - I think I said it up there? Going to get his hips checked first. I wanted to get him to do water retrieval but it's too cold for him at the moment and I know springers and labs can have problems with ear infections so I dont want to let him swim in cold water just yet and as I dont own a car it's not as if he'd get to warm up on the ride home.

And can I say your Toby looks incredibly like Louie did as a younger pup
How close was he to the guns?? at 6 months if he was on top of them its no wonder he didn't like them, the best way to get a dog used to guns is to start a way off and work up to them, to be honest if his only interest is nose to the floor working then it maybe worth giving gundog work another go, 1 of my springers is like this, and i have tried everything to get her attention out and about including waving a dead bunny in front of her that one of the others had found and fetched back, and she just isn't interested, the only think she is interested in is flushing things out, she lives for it, thankfully these days a lot more controlled than she used to be
wallaroo
Almost a Veteran
Female 

22-11-2010, 03:01 PM
Cheese is usually a good one, did you get the nice smelly sort? Or try pepperami sticks, they smell too!

Just out of curiosity what are you trying to teach him? And what is he doing instead?
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2