Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-09-2010, 01:06 PM

Pre training, training

Had a little go at some agility the weekend with Raina (only small jumps a little weave and a tunnell, it was a fun 'have a go' type course) and she really enjoyed it. I have been in touch with our local club but they are all full for the beginers for a little while. I am hoping to get more joy with the next one they run but in the mean time what would be could to teach her to prepare her?

She already knows the basics such as sit, stay, down ect and i work with a clicker if that helps. I am a real novice with agility as i have never done it before or had a dog that seemed to want to
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-09-2010, 03:16 PM
You could recently get some kit in PAH quite reasonably priced.

I think the key thing in agility is the 'contacts' ie the diff coloured bits at either end of the equipment they have to touch. the jumping is the easy bit i went to a comp the other week and there were some collies that had been taught left and right which was pretty impressive (and very useful!)

we can do everything quite fast but our downfall is contacts, they are more by luck than anything!

Perhaps see if you can find a comp near you and go along and watch (or even go and watch the beginners class you missed out on this time round, we always have spectators tucked in the corner)

its great fun and tires little brains out (thinking about the dogs, not saying you have peanut brain! ha!)
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-09-2010, 03:30 PM
Thanks! I have asked if we can pop along with her to get a feel before we start going. I have taught Ela 'Mark' where she touches things with her nose so may teach Raina something similar with the contacts . . .

She is also booked in to be hipscored next week so that will tell me if this is something she should be doing
wallaroo
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-09-2010, 06:14 PM
defiinately go watch some classes if they'll let you. we went to see ours and it gave us some useful things to start practicing. you could do turns, 'send aways' (sending dog ahead of you) as well as teaching them to follow a hand signal for direction?
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-09-2010, 07:30 PM
Originally Posted by wallaroo View Post
defiinately go watch some classes if they'll let you. we went to see ours and it gave us some useful things to start practicing. you could do turns, 'send aways' (sending dog ahead of you) as well as teaching them to follow a hand signal for direction?
i find they follow your shoulders

sending a dog on,and have them working ahead comes when dog and handler have confidence (i find)

believe it or not,one of the things newbies find hardest is actually standing up straight!

the best things to work on now is directions,and if u have decided how u are going to work contacts,contacts.

..beware tis mighty addictive
murph
Dogsey Senior
Male 

07-09-2010, 07:44 PM
Layla- How many czechs did you met before getting tupac?
murph
Dogsey Senior
Male 

07-09-2010, 07:44 PM
oops! posted that on the wrong thread