Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2010, 08:41 PM

Adult teeth coming through, over baby teeth

I know this happens in humans and isn't ideal but isn't a massive problem as long as it corrects itself...

Bubble's adult canines are coming through but her baby ones are still there. They're coming through the front of her gums... really difficult to explain, when you look at her bottom set of teeth, on the bit of gum that you see below the top where the teeth come from, there are little holes. At first I thought she'd bitten herself somehow or someone else had when they were wrestling but now I see ikkle toothypegs coming through.

Is this a problem??
tillytheterrier
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2010, 08:46 PM
Tilly had the same problem. She looked liked a shark with 2 layers of teeth! Most of them sorted themselves out in the end, Although when she was spayed at six months, they did remove a few that hadnt fallen out just to help them along. But I believe they would have come out eventually without help. I wouldnt worry to much if i was you. I work at a dentist and qualified dental nurse and its a problem seen in kids too. But even they normally sort themselves out eventually!!
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2010, 08:46 PM
I have seen this happen a few times, most recently with Tawny when she was a pup. I made sure she had plenty of the rawhide chews and they worked loose by themselves.

However, a friend with Poms had to have two dogs operated on to remove the puppy teeth, (because she wanted to show)
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2010, 08:52 PM
Give her some nice chewy raw bones & the teeth will come out, please don't give rawhide chews are they are now imported & are treated with carcinogenic chemicals. they could also be swallowed partly chewed & cause even more problems. I give my BC puppies organic pigs trotters when they are teething, gruesome but effective
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2010, 09:01 PM
Thanks guys!

Didn't know about the carcinogenics... shame as they all love rawhide but okidoke!

I have to watch her closely with rawhide anyway cos if she can, she'll chew it til it's soft (but still intact) and then fold it up and swallow it! You can't imagine my panic when I realised what she'd done! You take your eye off her when she has a whole chew left and the next second it's gone!

Are the hollings pigs trotters ok? My wholesaler do all the Hollings range so easy for me to get those

Thanks again peeps! She won't be showing anyway as she's deaf so not too worried about the way she looks, as long as she's comfortable!
littlewolf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-02-2010, 10:09 PM
This is happening with my friends CKCS, he's getting them removed when he gets neutered.