Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2009, 08:45 AM

Pre agility classes?

can anyone tell me what these involve? is it just small equipment to get them used to the routine for when they start on the real stuff?
I'm quite keen to do agilty with Tilly when she's older just for fun & excercise, nothing serious (though you never know!!) & have seen some pre agility classes for dogs from 9 months old, not sure whether to give it a go now (she's 10 months old now) or wait until after she has been spayed in November.
I'm going to go and have a look at the place this week which is a dog centre & college for trainers/groomers etc..
It sounds very exciting on the website with a dog friendly cafe & swimming pool sessions available amongst other things.

other question - how old until they can start flyball?
I know I can ask there but I don't want to appear too dumb
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2009, 04:38 PM
hi,

Pre- agility classes usually involve getting the dog used to basic equipment, like encouraging and building the dogs confidence through solid and flat tunnels, and usually also involve the contact equipment laid flat(or very low) and the foundations for contacts started.
It will probably(should) include jump wing with either poles laid flat on the ground or on the 'micro' height and you will teach the dog the basis of moving with and away from you- this all bbuild confidence and a puppy class should be all about this and having fun.

As for flyball, although i dont actually train or compete in this i personally would not start it with my dog until 15months at least as the force at which they can hit the box can be quite hard(this is the reason i choose not to do it with my ball mad gsd as i would rather 'save' her legs for agility)
hope this helps!
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2009, 04:45 PM
I'd definitely start now, even though she'll have to have a break in November due to her op, she shouldn't be off for too long and I'm sure she won't forget what you have learned up til then.

I'm sure what you do in the pre-agility class will come in very useful for when she can start agility proper.

Looking forward to hearing how you get on
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2009, 09:44 AM
Originally Posted by gsdmad View Post
hi,

Pre- agility classes usually involve getting the dog used to basic equipment, like encouraging and building the dogs confidence through solid and flat tunnels, and usually also involve the contact equipment laid flat(or very low) and the foundations for contacts started.
It will probably(should) include jump wing with either poles laid flat on the ground or on the 'micro' height and you will teach the dog the basis of moving with and away from you- this all bbuild confidence and a puppy class should be all about this and having fun.

As for flyball, although i dont actually train or compete in this i personally would not start it with my dog until 15months at least as the force at which they can hit the box can be quite hard(this is the reason i choose not to do it with my ball mad gsd as i would rather 'save' her legs for agility)
hope this helps!
Thanks for the info that's really helpful - as for flyball, I was thinking of that as she is so ball orientated. I guess I will have to see how her brakes work when she is older - they are rubbish at the moment & I hate the thought of them crashing into the box!

Originally Posted by Hali View Post
I'd definitely start now, even though she'll have to have a break in November due to her op, she shouldn't be off for too long and I'm sure she won't forget what you have learned up til then.

I'm sure what you do in the pre-agility class will come in very useful for when she can start agility proper.

Looking forward to hearing how you get on
Thanks - yes I'm defo going to go along then & find out when the next available course begins, I think she will love it - I think I will too!! (says me the person who initially wanted a little lap dog )
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2009, 10:22 AM
Originally Posted by Tillymint View Post
Thanks for the info that's really helpful - as for flyball, I was thinking of that as she is so ball orientated. I guess I will have to see how her brakes work when she is older - they are rubbish at the moment & I hate the thought of them crashing into the box!

Thanks - yes I'm defo going to go along then & find out when the next available course begins, I think she will love it - I think I will too!! (says me the person who initially wanted a little lap dog )
I'm sure you will, its great fun. Be prepared for some brain ache though - i never realised what a mental work out it was for the handlers
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-09-2009, 06:48 PM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
I'm sure you will, its great fun. Be prepared for some brain ache though - i never realised what a mental work out it was for the handlers
Well I've only gone & done it & booked on the next course which starts next week - and finishes the week before she is due to be spayed - so all works out quite well.
(I did ask would I be required to run around a lot )
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-09-2009, 11:00 PM
Have fun
But make sure they dont rush her - the obsticles are such a small part of agility - a pre class should be on handling, control and focus. as said above intorducing the obsticles but at v low height - v controlled
If the jump poles go above her ankle height or the contact stuff heads for full height then walk for the door!
and no weaves - introducing a channel or somethings fine - a few people in my club are training up new dogs because their older (8 year olds) are retiring due to joint problems caused by rushing things

I would also advise keeping well away from the seesaw
Ben was just over a year when we did it - just a couple of times in class
Unfort - unnoticed by me - he had just started a 2nd fear period and the scare he got from the seesaw took a long time to get over

Agility is great fun - I have two pooped doggies (and one pooped me) from classes tonight
But if you take it really slow now you can be having fun for years - rush things now and your dog may suffer in the future
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-09-2009, 08:32 AM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
Have fun
But make sure they dont rush her - the obsticles are such a small part of agility - a pre class should be on handling, control and focus. as said above intorducing the obsticles but at v low height - v controlled
If the jump poles go above her ankle height or the contact stuff heads for full height then walk for the door!
and no weaves - introducing a channel or somethings fine - a few people in my club are training up new dogs because their older (8 year olds) are retiring due to joint problems caused by rushing things

I would also advise keeping well away from the seesaw
Ben was just over a year when we did it - just a couple of times in class
Unfort - unnoticed by me - he had just started a 2nd fear period and the scare he got from the seesaw took a long time to get over

Agility is great fun - I have two pooped doggies (and one pooped me) from classes tonight
But if you take it really slow now you can be having fun for years - rush things now and your dog may suffer in the future
yes - they actually said to me everything you've pointed out - no jumps or anything & the class is just for dogs 6 - 12 months
I'll let you know how we get on - looking forward to it now!!
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-09-2009, 08:36 AM
thats great, sounds like you have found a good class

look forward to hearing about it

and if you have anyone who can take fotos, I really wish I had fotos (or vid) of my twos classes
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-09-2009, 10:04 AM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
thats great, sounds like you have found a good class

look forward to hearing about it

and if you have anyone who can take fotos, I really wish I had fotos (or vid) of my twos classes
I know, I already thought of that! if I can get one of the kids to come, there's a cafe/viewing area above, they could take pics from - but knowing them there will be something much more important they will be doing on a Sat afternoon! Hub can't come because of work, so I thinks I'm on my own!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >