Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2009, 07:50 PM

can any dog do obedience

I have been watching the championship obedience at crufts which was just amazing and I wondered if the handlers try out several dogs before they find one that will work to that standard or is it a matter of being a very good handler and training any dog to work that well (within reason) ?
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2009, 07:55 PM
I think certain breeds are more suited to competition obedience (BCs and GSDs spring to mind), but I have seen a number of different breeds doing some really fantastic rounds at competition level.

To get to a Crufts level, I would imagine you need a willing dog (and not all dogs enjoy competition obedience training) and a dedicated, experienced handler who is prepared to work really, really hard to achieve that kind of standard.
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2009, 08:00 PM
They were all walking around with their dogs glued to their leg without any commands. I have never had a dog that worked that close or for that length of time. It was brilliant. I know it is mostly bcs but there was a goldie that was fantastic too.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2009, 08:04 PM
I did quite well with my last rottie,

but I do think other breeds are more suited to working at that level,.

I took royce to class B... but only in limited obed..not open,

I think bc/gsd's can work for longer {on the whole} than a rottie can do,
it takes a very good dog and handler to hit the top level.
hayleybella
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2009, 08:04 PM
You have to qualify by going up the classes, I suppose any dog can do it if you are dedicated and can travel to the shows.

have seen a few belgian shepherds competing. & Mary Ray has a sheltie thats really good.
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2009, 08:08 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
To get to a Crufts level, I would imagine you need a willing dog (and not all dogs enjoy competition obedience training) and a dedicated, experienced handler who is prepared to work really, really hard to achieve that kind of standard.
Yes that is my thought that perhaps you need a certain sort of dog to start with and perhaps one which will get obsessive about a toy and will work for that?
Most of the dogs seemed to be really enjoying the work with tails wagging etc.
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2009, 08:11 PM
Originally Posted by hayleybella View Post
have seen a few belgian shepherds competing. & Mary Ray has a sheltie thats really good.
I am not thinking so much about the breed of dog although obviously bcs excel at this work. I was wondering more about the temperament and drive of the dog and whether the dog needed to be carefully chosen for this sort of work.
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2009, 08:12 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
I did quite well with my last rottie,

but I do think other breeds are more suited to working at that level,.

I took royce to class B... but only in limited obed..not open,

I think bc/gsd's can work for longer {on the whole} than a rottie can do,
it takes a very good dog and handler to hit the top level.
Would you say that any of your rotties could have been trained to do obedience Shona or did you choose the dog you worked for a particular reason?
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2009, 08:13 PM
Originally Posted by talassie View Post
Yes that is my thought that perhaps you need a certain sort of dog to start with and perhaps one which will get obsessive about a toy and will work for that?
Most of the dogs seemed to be really enjoying the work with tails wagging etc.
I don't think you could reach a really high level in competition if your dog (and you!) didn't really enjoy that kind of training and competing.

I used to train Flame in the competition obedience class at our dog training club, but neither of us had the drive or dedication to compete.

I am sure there will be the odd handler who goes through a number of dogs before finding one that can take them to the top of their game, but in my limited experience those kind of handlers were few and far between.
Magic
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-03-2009, 08:16 PM
I think the Border Collie has to be king at this - coupled of course with a very good, dedicated handler. JMO
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 > Last »