View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
KateM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-08-2010, 01:45 PM
It's the repeat, repeat, repeat part that stops either of my breeds from doing particularly well in obedience.

The spitz are generally more eager to please than the vallhunds, who will look at you gone out if you try to do something more than say twice in a row, particular if they got it right.

Both breeds are better with agility, though quite a few vallhunds do really well at herding
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-08-2010, 04:35 PM
I got to the top class in obedience school with both my Kerries. The one thing that let me down was that they wouldn't retrieve becuase we had a trainer who said to force Parker to hold the dumbbell and he wouldn't go near it after that.

Cherry was excellent at agility, out class instructor was a lady who judged overseas competitions and she thought Cherry was very good. We had only been going to classes about 6 months and they had a competition at Christmas and Cherry came 3rd out of all the different dogs in the classes, she beat nearly all the dogs in the advanced class (a fact that some of them weren't very happy about!).
She would have been a brillliant dog to train up to competition with but because of her fear reactivity to other dogs I would never have had the confidence to run her off-lead with other dogs sadly. At classes they only had 1 dog on the equipment and the rest behnd a gate.

Collies are extremely motivated to work which is why they can do well in different doggy disciplines. However, when you meet a "messed-up" one they seem a nightmare as were the couple I met at different training classes.

I guess you can feel more of an achievement to do well with a different, more challenging breed. The flip side to this is that people with Collies who put in hours of training may get comments that "oh well it is a Collie-they are supposed to be like that!"

We were asked to take part in a training seminar for judges wanting to pass the Kennel Clubs "Good Citizen" dog training scheme. After doing a round of heelwork with Parker in the ring with a lot of other dogs I was so proud when the judge said to me "that is a lovely working dog you have there"
helen25
New Member!
Female 

22-11-2010, 09:19 PM
has anyone done obediance with a staffy? i have a staffy x and tried an obiedience class with him (although the trainers were learning themselves) i found it very difficult, as i often had no control!! at some points he wasbrilliant, other times he wasnot interested and just wanted to play however i would like to take him back, as his obiediance definatly requires some work lol.
kelpiemad
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-11-2010, 10:53 PM
I think allot of people use the Border Collie in obedience competition because they are bright keen and willing to work also there long coat tends to hide the faults of them coming of the leg they work very close and you can't see any gaps when the judge is following smoother coated dogs you can see the gaps so they often get marked When I worked my smooth coated collie she worked off my leg I could feel her all the time but people sad they could see her come off. HTM and freestyle has a more relaxed heelwork position so most breeds can do this you don't want them so close. my Min Pin does lovely Heelwork he keep the same position but he is about 2 inches from my leg but I couldn't work him any closer he would get trod on. have a think about HTM with your staffy its great fun and you can do most of the training inside great for this cold weather
kelpiemad
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-11-2010, 11:10 PM
Originally Posted by Mad Huskies View Post
Well I am currently grade three obeidence training with my siberian husky (a breed well renouned for having a mind of its own and being a challenge to train) and I, biased though I may be, find that she is just as good if not better than some of the more "trainable" breeds of dog in our class.
I think it is all about the relationship you have with your dog in order for them to want to work for you and for you to know how best to motivate them.
Although I dont think we will go on to compete we are passing every class without having to repeat and Im very proud of the way she works for me!
hi I am very interested how you Husky is training I am a canine freestyle trainer and have competed in the advanced class with my now retired collie I do love the Husky but I have heard that they are not so trainable I am working a Min Pin at the moment they are not supposed to work either he is working realy well and is very keen to work. so I am realy interested how your dog works where do you train Iam from nottingham as well
abbie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2010, 11:27 PM
Originally Posted by kelpiemad View Post
hi I am very interested how you Husky is training I am a canine freestyle trainer and have competed in the advanced class with my now retired collie I do love the Husky but I have heard that they are not so trainable I am working a Min Pin at the moment they are not supposed to work either he is working realy well and is very keen to work. so I am realy interested how your dog works where do you train Iam from nottingham as well
Hi I know this is not aimed at me but thought you may find my experience interesting. I compete in obedience and agility with my northern inuits. I have previously had a collie and now have a young bsd.

I have one ni that has won out of pre beginners and beginners obedience and has won at novice. She has also won at agility. My younger ni has been placed in novice.

I find the ni's very challenging to train. They do enjoy it. If they didn't we would not do it, but they are certainly not easy.

They are a dog that can be very good or very bad. Once they lose focus that is it they are gone. I find that you have to be prepared for things to take longer and keep training short and fun. My young bsd is a totally different story. He is only 8 months old but he is so easy and a pleasure to work with.
Mad Huskies
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-11-2010, 11:39 PM
Heya, answered your PM but thought Id answer here too... my girlie is very food orientated so usally works very well for me even under some distraction! We train at Nottingham Dog training club on the Wells Rd if you know it? I would recomend it to anyone they are really friendly and helpful there!
We're doing obedeince work at them moment and I have been told shes got some lovly potential! I would LOVE to do freestlye tho! That would be so much fun with her and my other husky too! Iv actually been looking for an agility class for my other husky (my big rescue boy) as I think he would really accel at that but am having trouble finding anywhere close enough as I dont have a car yet!
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2010, 07:14 AM
Originally Posted by helen25 View Post
has anyone done obediance with a staffy? i have a staffy x and tried an obiedience class with him (although the trainers were learning themselves) i found it very difficult, as i often had no control!! at some points he wasbrilliant, other times he wasnot interested and just wanted to play however i would like to take him back, as his obiediance definatly requires some work lol.
Staffs have been quite successful in Ob comps! very trainable!
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2010, 07:20 AM
I think allot of people use the Border Collie in obedience competition because they are bright keen and willing to work also there long coat tends to hide the faults of them coming of the leg they work very close and you can't see any gaps when the judge is following smoother coated dogs you can see the gaps so they often get marked When I worked my smooth coated collie she worked off my leg I could feel her all the time but people sad they could see her come off. HTM and freestyle has a more relaxed heelwork position so most breeds can do this you don't want them so close. my Min Pin does lovely Heelwork he keep the same position but he is about 2 inches from my leg but I couldn't work him any closer he would get trod on. have a think about HTM with your staffy its great fun and you can do most of the training inside great for this cold weather
Any dog does not need to be stuck to your leg, it needs to be resonably close. So if your dog starts off 1/2 a inch off your legf & remains there, it should not get mareked, its when they are on & off & on & off that gets marked.

Believe me you can see lots of wide faults on a long coated BC. Most people choose BCs because they like to repeat so you can do lots of training!

I hope you carry on with your OB training, & find some good judges, im sure your min pin would be lovely, if he stays 2" off STAYS there (even in the sits/halts) i wouldnt mark him
kelpiemad
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-11-2010, 11:01 PM
Hi its great to know there is judges out there that will judge the same position away I personally think it is more difficult for a dog to work a inch away and keep that position than a dog that works on the leg because the dog that works on the leg can feel that its right. I used to call and watch for mistakes for a ticket handler everything had to be so precise but I loved it.
Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »