Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

01-02-2007, 10:39 PM
Patterlad,
I think it's something to do with the 'quicker drying' time. All other factors being equal that 'should' normally be a reason for using Acrylic.

I make that statement based on my woodworking experience where the finish being used can, if it dries very slowly, pick up dust from the air.

Unless you work in a carefully controlled atmosphere there will always be dust particles in the air. In woodwork these particles can show, and sometimes ruin, a nice piece, so the quicker the finish dries the better.

I assume it's much the same for an artist. Also, if working to a deadline, (which customers have been known to impose ) it's surely better if the work dries quicker.

I can't say which I prefer since I'm not an artist (Never will be ) but if the end result looks the same then a quicker drying media would seem to be favorite.

Well that's my 'view'
I would be interested to know if you get clients who say "It must be oil" or "It must be Acrylic"
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2007, 06:33 AM
I highly recommend Patterlad (Steve) - he's done several sketches for me and others, and they are all outstanding. He's also just done a beautiful painting of Random's Weim - it's stunning.
stephenkeane
Dogsey Junior
Male 

02-02-2007, 07:55 AM
Hi patterlad

would you be able to post some examples of your paintings as i have seen your drawings put i am intrested in a painting of bella

Thanks.....
Animal
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-02-2007, 01:11 PM
I personally prefer oils when I'm painting, although I tend to do graphite drawings more than painting anyway. I love oil because it drys slowly, I find it suits my style as it remains 'workable' for quite a while.

The down side is also the long drying time as well, because it takes ages to dry you have to be careful of dust and things, and you have to wait too long! Especially if you want to go back and lay more colour on. So, pro's and con's really, depends on the individual (I do use acrylics as well anyway lol!)

Thats my personal opinion but like I said I tend towards graphite anyway more than anything
Em&Til
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-02-2007, 01:45 PM
I have never really tried oils as all I can remember of them is the smell of the spirits making me feel ill! You can get good quality water soluble ones now so I may well try them in the future, I do use acrylics but end up using mediums to slow down the dying time a little so I have longer to work on them!
My website is...http://petportraitsbyemma.co.uk if anyone is interested, my prices are very resonable I would say!
Animal
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-02-2007, 03:20 PM
Emma your paintings are beautiful, really capture the character of the dogs too.

I looked on John Silvers webby as well, again, stunning artwork there.
Em&Til
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-02-2007, 03:31 PM
oh thank you Animal, Im only just starting out with the whole Pet portraiture thing...Ive only really done commissions through word of mouth before, but thought I may aswell make myself a website to show some of them!
stephenkeane
Dogsey Junior
Male 

02-02-2007, 04:39 PM
You art is really good very impressed
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2007, 07:45 AM
thanks animal
kyektulu
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2007, 07:04 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
It depends how much you would want to pay.....have a look here...
http://www.johnsilverfinearts.com/

He will do commissions when he has the chance, but it does cost as he uses oil on canvas, check out how he works and you'll see why he costs a lot...he's also well known and exceptionally good...

Just depends how much you want to pay....

Ramble,

Thank you for posting the link to this site, John Silver is AMAZING, his fantasy work blew me away....

Yet another incredible artist for me to aspire to.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >