Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

17-11-2016, 03:19 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
It seems MPs are proposing that RSPCA still investigate cases of cruelty but then their findings are passed to the CPS to decide whether there is a case to prosecute. At the moment the RSPCA themselves bring private prosecutions.
From the Beeb:

"What prosecution powers does the RSPCA have?
The RSPCA exercises its right to act as private prosecutor under the Prosecution of Offences Act 1985.
The charity has no legal enforcement powers or authority in its own right, so all prosecutions are brought via independent solicitors acting for the RSPCA."

As far as I'm aware, anyone can bring a private prosecution so I can't see an awful lot changing.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-11-2016, 03:35 PM
Originally Posted by Besoeker View Post
From the Beeb:

"What prosecution powers does the RSPCA have?
The RSPCA exercises its right to act as private prosecutor under the Prosecution of Offences Act 1985.
The charity has no legal enforcement powers or authority in its own right, so all prosecutions are brought via independent solicitors acting for the RSPCA."

As far as I'm aware, anyone can bring a private prosecution so I can't see an awful lot changing.
The point being the Rspca is a charity so where does the money come from for private prosecutions, who is funding the solicitors and could those funds be put to better use?
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2016, 04:35 PM
If the RSPCA stop private prosecutions, there will be far more unpunished acts of cruelty. There are precious few now in comparison to what we all suspect happens and, let's face it, even when the RSPCA win a case, the punishments are a joke, but at least a 'joke' is better than nothing at all deterrent wise
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

17-11-2016, 04:56 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
The point being the Rspca is a charity so where does the money come from for private prosecutions, who is funding the solicitors and could those funds be put to better use?
I think the funds come mostly, if not entirely, from public donations.
Could funding used for prosecutions be put to better use?
I think you would need to look that on a case by case basis.

There is a cost involved in any prosecution whether it is brought by the RSPCA or the CPS but there really isn't a "do nothing" option.

I don't imagine many people are intentionally cruel to their pets or animals but there needs to repercussions of some sort for those who are. It may mean the animals being removed from their custody, rehomed or, in some cases, put down. It all involves costs.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

17-11-2016, 05:12 PM
I think the funds come mostly, if not entirely, from public donations.
Could funding used for prosecutions be put to better use?
I think you would need to look that on a case by case basis.

There is a cost involved in any prosecution whether it is brought by the RSPCA or the CPS but there really isn't a "do nothing" option.

I don't imagine many people are intentionally cruel to their pets or animals but there needs to repercussions of some sort for those who are. It may mean the animals being removed from their custody, rehomed or, in some cases, put down. It all involves costs.
There is a do nothing option it's the option most frequently taken by the RSPCA. They get called out all the time to reports of neglect and their response is they have food, water and shelter therefore there is no neglect.
Yes rehoming costs and they charge for the animals they rehome. Taking animals away from their owners and rehabilitating them and then rehoming costs and the money spent on prosecuting those involved in fox hunting and badger baiting could be redirected to deal with neglect cases. Fox hunting and Badger baiting are against the law, they should be investigated by the police and prosecuted by the Cps not the Rspca.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2016, 06:15 PM
I don't imagine many people are intentionally cruel to their pets or animals
Really? Sadly I think you are very, very wrong.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

17-11-2016, 06:18 PM
Me too
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

17-11-2016, 06:47 PM
OK. Let me rephrase that.
I don't imagine most people are intentionally cruel to their pets or animals.
But I think you both knew what I meant.
gordon mac
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

17-11-2016, 07:00 PM
There are countless acts of cruelty perpetrated daily by people, just visit a slaughterhouse/intensive rearing unit/even a puppy farm. That is just the tip of the iceberg - people frequently treat their pets and animals in ways that are so inhumane as to defy description. To say that " I don't imagine many people are intentionally cruel to their pets or animals" shows that you are in a state of blissful ignorance as regards the fate and treatment of animals in the UK.
A little research - using your computer skills - would quickly show you what a tremendous number of truly despicable people there are in our little group of islands and the almost complete indifference that they display towards animals of all kinds.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

17-11-2016, 07:13 PM
Originally Posted by gordon mac View Post
There are countless acts of cruelty perpetrated daily by people, just visit a slaughterhouse/intensive rearing unit/even a puppy farm. That is just the tip of the iceberg - people frequently treat their pets and animals in ways that are so inhumane as to defy description. To say that " I don't imagine many people are intentionally cruel to their pets or animals" shows that you are in a state of blissful ignorance as regards the fate and treatment of animals in the UK.
A little research - using your computer skills - would quickly show you what a tremendous number of truly despicable people there are in our little group of islands and the almost complete indifference that they display towards animals of all kinds.
I didn't say it doesn't happen.
The dog and cat population in UK is around 16,000,000.
How many of those are subjected to cruelty?

A simple, supported stat will do.
Page 6 of 12 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 > Last »