Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2013, 01:00 AM

Ordering a harness online??

So I'm trying to get a harness for Nigredo online. Ordinarily, I'd get one from a shop, taking him along to get fitted etc.. but I saw a kind that our shop doesn't have that I'd like for him to have.

Thing is, it's on Amazon and they just have base sizes. S, M, L, XL, and etc. I can't do anything with that! I used to buy Brownie L sized (at local no pets allowed retailers)

The packages said it fitted Labs and GSD etc. but they were always too small around the chest and too wide around the waist.

I'm not even sure of how tall Nigredo is or how much he weighs, and even if I was, I'd have no idea how to apply any of that to a harness.

Last thing I'd want is for it to not fit.

So, I wanted to ask... Does your dog wear the same size of any brand? Or has it been different? I'd take him to get fitted by size at the local shop and then buy the same size online if they all are the same size.

Both Brownie and Jade could wear the same size nylon harness. She's wearing his old one since he passed away and it fits just fine. But I just recently started using harnesses, and I've only bought two so far so I really have no idea about the sizing.

Is a size S, M, L etc. really the same no matter what brand? I can usually look at collars and see if they fit, but not harnesses. Help, please! Thanks!!
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

24-05-2013, 07:03 AM
Can you give a link to the harness as then it might be possible to check the brand and see how their measurements go.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2013, 08:56 AM
What I usually do is email the seller with my dogs measurements chest, length of back, neck size etc and ask them what they recommend. Decent sellers will get back quickly and offer the best size for your dog.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2013, 10:43 AM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
Can you give a link to the harness as then it might be possible to check the brand and see how their measurements go.
Hi, Malka. It's the most adorable little thing.

Here it is:

http://www.amazon.com/Puppia-Vest-Do...ds=dog+harness

The thing is, I only see it in medium on the site. I'm not sure if medium will fit him. I expect for him to grow out of it, but I'd like it to last at least a few months.

Also, and this is (VERY) embarrassing... I have never measured any of my dogs. I'm not sure how I can look at collars and tell if they fit, and I always take my dog into the pet shop for harnesses, muzzles, and everything else fitted.
SneaksyWhippet
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-05-2013, 11:31 AM
Looking at their sizing chart, I would say they are designed for dogs much smaller than Nigredo.

My whippets have a neck girth of ~12 inches (I only know this because I recently measured them for new collars). They have very skinny necks compared to other dogs their height, being whippets! Their "lower neck girth" (as described on the harness sizing chart) would be a couple of inches bigger than this, at a guess, which would put them into the XL category for the harness. For that reason I can't imagine a medium would fit your dog.

The one way to tell, of course, is to measure him. If you don't have a flexible tape measure, use string and measure it with a metal tape measure or ruler afterwards
SneaksyWhippet
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-05-2013, 11:35 AM
Looking at some of the customer reviews:

"She is 10lbs now and a medium fits her well"

"My Chihuahua's measurements were in the medium range"

"Puppia must cater to small dogs because I had to exchange the Medium size for a Large - odd considering my dog is only 11-12 lbs"

"These *VEST-style* HARNESSES run SMALLER than the original Puppia harnesses, so be sure to measure around your dog's neck and chest. The *CHEST MEASUREMENT* is especially important for a good fit. Order one size larger if your dog's CHEST size is close to the garmet size listed below:
SMALL: neck is 8 inches; CHEST is 12.5 inches ;
MEDIUM: neck is 9.5 inches; CHEST is 15 inches;
LARGE: neck is 11 inches, CHEST is 17 inches;
X-LARGE: neck is 12.5 inches, CHEST is 21 inches. "
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2013, 11:55 AM
Originally Posted by mjfromga View Post
Hi, Malka. It's the most adorable little thing.

Here it is:

http://www.amazon.com/Puppia-Vest-Do...ds=dog+harness

The thing is, I only see it in medium on the site. I'm not sure if medium will fit him. I expect for him to grow out of it, but I'd like it to last at least a few months.

Also, and this is (VERY) embarrassing... I have never measured any of my dogs. I'm not sure how I can look at collars and tell if they fit, and I always take my dog into the pet shop for harnesses, muzzles, and everything else fitted.
That is the harness despite being exactly Betty's measurements she managed to get out of when I was walking her. Just backed right out of it. I don't think they would fit your dog though as they are designed for tinies.
s7eph
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-05-2013, 01:22 PM
My Fred wears a puppia harness in Large and he is a frenchbulldog, they are adjustable round the middle
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2013, 05:59 PM
Thanks, everyone. I guess it won't fit... I'll just take him into PetSmart and get him a regular one.
BlueJay
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2013, 06:06 PM
How about one of these?
http://dog-games-shop.co.uk/harnesses-fleece-lined

My two have very similar ones and seem to like them!
You can make 'custom' sizes with the perfect fit ones, they have measuring guides and I believe they ship worldwide
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >