Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2011, 10:43 AM

Pigeon!

I posted this in the Gundog section but I realise that not everyone on here looks on there especially as it isn't under anything that says pictures. So for non gundog owning members:

He hates the camera so wouldn't come near me

Thank you to Leanne for helping me
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2011, 10:45 PM
Aw, did he get that himself?
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-10-2011, 06:14 AM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
Aw, did he get that himself?
It was a practice - already dead
Misty-Pup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-10-2011, 07:18 AM
Well done Louie!! And you of course! You've done amazing with him!

I remember when I first started Misty with a pigdeon, she wouldn't give it the time of day! Now she's picking game on a shoot day, she'll retrieve a pidgeon in training!!
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-10-2011, 07:24 AM
Originally Posted by Misty-Pup View Post
Well done Louie!! And you of course! You've done amazing with him!

I remember when I first started Misty with a pigdeon, she wouldn't give it the time of day! Now she's picking game on a shoot day, she'll retrieve a pidgeon in training!!
Thanks but I really didn't do much - he has all the instinct in him.. the "to hand" is still iffy, he'll bring then do the silly circling in front rather than sitting.. but we're still learning.
Jenn~n~Luke
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-10-2011, 07:27 AM
Oh dear...lol the dog is beautiful, but I can't help but feel sorry for the pigeon. I was just feeding some the other day. Who knew they'd like Orijen dog food?LOL
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-10-2011, 07:30 AM
Originally Posted by Jenn~n~Luke View Post
Oh dear...lol the dog is beautiful, but I can't help but feel sorry for the pigeon. I was just feeding some the other day. Who knew they'd like Orijen dog food?LOL
It was even worse later on - it was part frozen there and then later on when it defrosted it's head was swinging and Louie almost had a game of tug of war with it's head!

Pigeons are pests here - especially the one that still coos down my chimney at daft o'clock!
Misty-Pup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-10-2011, 07:30 AM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
Thanks but I really didn't do much - he has all the instinct in him.. the "to hand" is still iffy, he'll bring then do the silly circling in front rather than sitting.. but we're still learning.
Yes he has the instinct, but the training you've done with him means he will actually bring it back, rather than stand and eat it! I've seen dogs on shoots find game and then stand and tear it up!

Some if mine don't retrieve properly to hand, I have to grab them to stop them, they just wanna dump it or have me grab it on the go and get gone for the next one!
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-10-2011, 07:33 AM
Originally Posted by Misty-Pup View Post
Yes he has the instinct, but the training you've done with him means he will actually bring it back, rather than stand and eat it! I've seen dogs on shoots find game and then stand and tear it up!

Some if mine don't retrieve properly to hand, I have to grab them to stop them, they just wanna dump it or have me grab it on the go and get gone for the next one!
The problem I have is I can get him to sit but it's generally at a distance:

http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=154856

And if I ask him to hold - he looks like I'm about to beat him and drops it. We're getting there albeit slowly.
Jenn~n~Luke
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-10-2011, 07:37 AM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
It was even worse later on - it was part frozen there and then later on when it defrosted it's head was swinging and Louie almost had a game of tug of war with it's head!

Pigeons are pests here - especially the one that still coos down my chimney at daft o'clock!
Ewww.... They are here too. They actually made a law that we're no longer allowed to feed them in our main city square...something about the poop having diseases I guess, but they're still everywhere.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >