View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2011, 10:11 PM
I really laugh when people say "they should only be used when all other methods have and failed" there is a perfectly fail safe method to stop your dog running off and that is keeping it on a lead like the majority of sled dog owners do!

You are lazy, so you use the e collar.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2011, 10:11 PM
and thats when the guy knew they were going to do it, knew they were going to turn it up and knew where it was coming from and knew that it would end

imagine how disturbed a dog would be NOT knowing any of that and it still happening....

Gnasher, does this not make you feel bad that there are humane ways to keep a dog safe yet you do that to your dog?

edit; suddenly its not a shock collar anymore then
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2011, 10:12 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
We don't use an electric collar - we use a VIBRATION collar now. Haven't used the "stim" button for 2 weeks.

Must go to bed now nite all x
Cop out----as usual.

rune
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2011, 10:12 PM
And I find yet another contradiction in one of your posts from another post on another thread.

Here you say your dog KNOWS where the correction comes from, on another post you say he does not?!
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2011, 10:13 PM
We don't use an electric collar - we use a VIBRATION collar now. Haven't used the "stim" button for 2 weeks.

Must go to bed now nite all x
Call a spade a spade - you own an electric collar and if the vibrate button stopped working then your OH would use the "stim" button (again - it's a shock, call it a shock!). Your constant skirting around with e-collars just says to me that you're not totally comfortable with it and you do feel guility about it, enough to dub it a vibration collar, enough to deny it's painful but later admit it is, enough to try to justify your case as "extreme" (you're not hte first to deal with iffy recall!), just not enough to not use it.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2011, 10:15 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
And I find yet another contradiction in one of your posts from another post on another thread.

Here you say your dog KNOWS where the correction comes from, on another post you say he does not?!
They happen so often - you will be hard pushed to keep up
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2011, 10:18 PM
I used a TENS machine after my accident, and for me, it was NOTHING like an e collar, there is no comparison. The TENS machine for me produced a trickling, prickling sensation, nothing like the muscular spasm caused by the e-collar.
I have had both just on me as I wrote & the TENS machine is one that is only available to medical professionals(ie not on public sale)

The e collar was used on me as a demonstration & despite having an extremely high pain threshold(like many women)it was bl**dy painful & I can only imagine a poor dog getting zapped for behaving naturally.

Give me treats, toys & a clicker any day
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2011, 10:26 PM
Originally Posted by kycanine View Post
The e-collar that I have goes from 1-100. I can't even feel it until I get to about 25-30 and then its little more than a tickle. I've been using collars for 10 yrs. I use it as a tap on the shoulder and to mean "pay attention". YES I DO put it on my wrist each time BEFORE I use it to ensure that it is functioning properly. The collar allows my dogs a freedom that MOST other dogs will never know. We can go hiking off leash or work off leash in a crowded park with complete confidence that if a sudden distraction appears I can call the dog off any rabbit or deer that might jump out. There is NO other way to immediately give a dog information/direction at great distances and enforce that direction if needed.
SO many purely positive trainers advocate "vibration" collars but my dogs who work on a 25-30 will give HUGE stress signals /jump/yelp if the pager feature on my collar is used.

The MAIN thing to remember in dog training is that it is the DOG and not the PERSON who determines what is a reward and what is aversive!!

kelly
em, no offense but what are you talking about?
My dog goes hiking off leash, he goes to crowded city centre parks off leash, he can be called off a rabbit or deer, I can have him change direction from a distance. Where do you get this 'NO other way' thing from? He has never had an e-collar on in his life. Ever watched herding trials (i.e. whistle) Ever just seen pets out with owners who do not use an e-collar yet have a happy pet eager to please? Ever seen working trials, agility or Sch where people do not use e-collars?

Also you have contradicted yourself, perhaps YOU should remember your own advice
The MAIN thing to remember in dog training is that it is the DOG and not the PERSON who determines what is a reward and what is aversive!!
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2011, 10:29 PM
Well all I will say is that I wouldn't like to wear a shock collar so if I don't like it then my dogs sure as hell aren't going to wear one!!
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2011, 10:32 PM
Just a question - if the e collar causes so much pain and distress to a dog, why does Ben allow myself or OH to put it round his neck without any worry whatsoever?
How many reasons do you want?

a doesn't realise that the inanimate collar causes the pain

b trust you not to hurt him (resists comment)

c has already associated walks with pleasure from his pre-shock days

d would rather put up with the pain for the sake of getting out for his walk

e, f, g, h etc - a hundred reasons, any of which could apply.

Dogs are so trusting. Unfortunately, we often abuse that trust
Page 6 of 42 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 16 > Last »